TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The "Faster N' Louder" 1973 401 Javelin AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Faster N' Louder" 1973 401 Javelin AMX
    Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 9:14pm
I figured I'd finally make a proper project thread for the '73 Javelin AMX I recently picked up!

I've owned several Javelins over the years, with the most recent being a '74 Javelin AMX I sold via a classic car consignment dealer, and subsequently destroyed only 3 months after the last owner acquired it.

I'm in my early 30s now, but I've been into muscle cars my whole life, and got into AMCs when I moved to Kenosha when I was in high school. AMCs always provided that "X factor" that not many other cars fulfilled in my brain. Fast forward to earlier this year, and I was dreaming about getting another Javelin...or Gremlin, American, or maybe even a Pacer to just go full bore with and put a 360-based 383 stroker in it.

Unfortunately, I was also trying to get a business up and running, so the flow of expendable income was glacially slow. However, that didn't stop me from window shopping online! After looking at a couple over-priced, 70% complete, glorified parts cars, I came across something very interesting on Craigslist.

I came across what I would consider a "holy grail" car. I discovered a '73 Javelin AMX. And it had plenty of goodies like A/C, power steering, power brakes, functional cowl hood with air cleaner still intact, rally pack gauges, and most importantly...a 401. However, as previously mentioned, I had no money. The listing stated the car was in rough shape, had a seized engine, and was more than likely better off a parts car. It looked rough from the pictures, but I figured someone would be interested in fixing it up for the low asking price of $2500.

It was painful to have to pass up, but I felt better sharing the ad in hopes that someone would snatch it up and save it. Life goes on, and so did the window shopping.

Fast forward about 2 months, and I was ready to buy myself an affordable project car. After seeing the Javelin AMX, I decided I would be happiest pursuing a Javelin, and focused in on acquiring a worthy project. After putting up the bat signal on AMC groups on Facebook and the forums, I was made aware that a couple of good candidates were right in my hometown of Phoenix, AZ. As many of you are probably already aware, Dan Curtis runs AZ AMC Restorations here in Arizona, and contacted me about what he had available at the moment. One of which was...(drum roll).......the '73 Javelin AMX!

I checked out the car in person shortly after, and decided that despite it's rather dilapidated condition, it was totally worth taking on the project. Structurally speaking, the car was pretty rust free, with some minor areas that need some attention. I had also recently acquired my own personal shop space, so it seemed like it was meant to be. After working out a deal with Dan, the car was dropped of at my shop, which we affectionately refer to as "The High Speed Shop" (my brother and I are fiber optic technicians).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSb1Hjkg-LE

I have a little girl on the way, so I'm hoping that by the time she's big enough I'll have this car on the road so we can share the joy of cruising and hotrodding! I also decided to make this an ongoing series on my Youtube channel so that all AMC and muscle car fans alike can follow along with the progress. I'll update this thread with up to date videos and other progress I make on the car.

Edited by WhatISit - Sep/03/2022 at 11:23pm
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2021 at 5:54am
funny how things work out.  congrats on your expanding family, enjoy the process!
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2021 at 7:58am
I was pretty happy to read your thread because at first glance of the title, I was thinking the gas monkey hacks did a Javelin. LOL

It's a great story and good luck with your adventure!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 10:43am
Thanks guys! I just picked up a rear axle out of a CJ5 yesterday with 3.54 gears, so I’m gonna swap those into my axle with 3.15s in it currently. Also hoping to get the rotating assembly out of the 401 today so it’ll be ready to drop off at the machine shop. 
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 6:54am
Is the original color brownish bronze?   Was your old green car restored or so?

Edited by Red1975pacer - Jul/26/2021 at 6:56am
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:24am
Man I'd like to be able to do some hardcore stuff like that. Being inexperienced and incapable kinda sucks.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Red1975pacer Red1975pacer wrote:

Is the original color brownish bronze?   Was your old green car restored or so?

Yea, original color is Cordoba Brown. The old was was a '74 and was Medium Green. It wasn't restored, but it had an older paint job. 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

Man I'd like to be able to do some hardcore stuff like that. Being inexperienced and incapable kinda sucks.

lol I'm pretty inexperienced, myself. But I have a couple experienced people to help me through stuff when I get stuck. I also have a shop and a lot of time. LOL
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 4:11pm

Got the engine to the machine shop! Hoping to hear back about its condition soon!
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 4:14pm
what shop here in town are you using?
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic