TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The "Faster N' Louder" 1973 401 Javelin AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2023 at 9:29pm
Guess I should provide an update!

Here’s some things I’ve done lately:

-Lowered the front end (cut a coil out of the springs)
-Went through 3 torque converter iterations (I think this one will work)
-Got all my vacuum lines connected
-Filled the power steering pump 
-Got gas in the tank 
-Buffed out the hood
-Installed PCV valve 
-Bypassed heater passage 
-Installed B&M shift cable adapters
-Installed new neutral safety switch

Still need to tighten front suspension, add coolant, install the trans (for the 4th time), connect all the transmission stuff (dipstick, kickdown, neutral safety switch connector, shift cable), and install the starter. I should pretty much be ready to start and drive it at that point. 

70Xcode View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Xcode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 8:57pm
What a shame on that green car 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by 70Xcode 70Xcode wrote:

What a shame on that green car 

It was very sad to hear/see. Wish I could have kept that car and saved it from its imminent death. 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 12:00am

This is me RIGHT before my soul was crushed by the fact that my transmission is inexplicably locked up. Taking it back out completely next week to take it apart and look at it. 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 10:28pm
Wow...this has been an amazing learning experience for me, as well as a huge lesson in how to be persistent and stay motivated. Getting the Javelin to the point where I can get it started and driving has been more involved in just about every way imaginable. It's been a huge mental, physical, and emotional drain on me in the past few months, especially.

No, I didn't rebuild the engine myself. No, I didn't rebuild the transmission myself, either. I've been very fortunate to have more skilled and experienced friends, family and acquaintances to help me along. I have however, put HUNDREDS of hours into building this car. The suspension, engine accessories, restoring parts, fixing wiring, modifying and fabricating parts, restoring interior pieces, and everything else in between has been learned and accomplished along the way.

I have a huge debt of gratitude to people like my dad, Ivan, and my brother, Randy for the hours they've put in for helping diagnose problems and putting in some real physical work as well. There's also been a wealth of knowledge offered to me in the form of AMC Facebook groups and TheAMCForum.com. The car community is cool like that, and it's one of the reasons I love this hobby.

I have quite a bit of work ahead of me just to enjoy this car, but the "road to roadworthiness" (see what I did there?) has been just as enjoyable as the literal roads I soon will be driving on in my Javelin! Thank you all for keeping up with the build, and I promise there will soon be a new video on the YouTube channel. I've attached a screenshot of video editing process currently happening. There's a TON to cover, and I promise it will be worth watching for all fans of muscle cars!

WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2023 at 10:35pm
Just a basic update to let the interwebs know that the project is still alive and well. I'm in roughly the same place I was in the middle of January, but some small inconsequential things have been acommplished, such as getting a lot of the interior pieces back together.

We also determined the cause of the trans being locked up was the rear servo. I believe it was getting cockeyed in the bore, likely due to the much heavier spring supplied by the shift kit. I had the whole assembly replaced with a billet kit, so hopefully we'll be good to go. We're hoping to get everything reinstalled this weekend and hopefully fired up.

I do know that the power steering system is leaking really bad out of the lower pitman arm seal, so that's gonna need to be fixed soon. Already bought the kit--just waiting for time to actually replace it.

Edited by WhatISit - Feb/16/2023 at 10:37pm
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2023 at 11:17pm
Looks fantastic. Love the seats. Keep up the good work.
TheCanadianAmerican View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCanadianAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2023 at 11:39pm
Man that interior looks killer!
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2023 at 12:58pm
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! We’re gonna try to get things back together once again today. Wish us luck!
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2023 at 8:15pm
Huge milestone hit with the project! The car officially runs again for the first time in over 40 years!

There’s still a few things that need to be done before it’s technically “roadworthy”. We’re swapping out the steering box, power steering pump (replacement failed), and we’re putting in an aftermarket tach. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic