TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TEAM AMX, info and pics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by beepbeep beepbeep wrote:

The BP 60 employee raced AMX was stripped and scrapped. It's history.

Then please tell me the story you know.  If its gone, its gone, but I'm still trying to find out details on the car and how it was built.
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 12:52pm
Anyone know if there are any of the employees involved in this car still around?

Accurate Recreations of unobtainable or rare cars are gaining popularity, and would be a worthwhile build now more than ever.

An accurate recreation of this car would be a valuable/worthwhile undertaking, even more-so if individuals from the original team were involved.
Great, now I want to do this too! LOL

If anyone isn't comfortable giving names or info on the forum, please PM me. I'd love to capture detail information on this car to share. I live in Wisconsin, and would be happy to visit anyone with old pictures to scan and save, or document any data from anyone directly involved with the car that may still be in Kenosha area.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/27/2017 at 1:10pm
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 5:25pm
Thanks for the help Mike, I really appreciate it. From what I've read, the car started as a body in white and was built with help from the Kaplan Trans AM Javelin team. Whether that help was just in the form of technical help, parts, or both isn't really known. It makes sense due to the 68 season being fairly successful and they had figured out a lot of what worked and what didn't on the Javelins going into 69. So, my assumption is that it would have been built similar to the trans am javelins, so thats what I'm doing with mine along with adding some more modern upgrades.

Maybe I'll start a build thread in the projects section. Found this picture of a Kaplan Javelin with the front end taken off...

beepbeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beepbeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 11:13pm

The where or the why the BP60 AMX is gone just invokes heart ach. I'll just say there was a time when old race cars like this were worth zero. Happen upon one and the owner certainly would not sell it but then, the very next day he'd cut it up! I'm guessing we've all had it happen, hard to figure those stories out.
You want to make a tribute BP60 AMX, there was an article in Hemmings a few years back, after saying a few, I would add a few years onto that number. Find that article, it had all the guys names and some nice pictures. Also find an scca rule book for 1968. The car ran in B Production, a very stock class.   343, 4 speed, the optional steering box, heavy stabilizer, with a simple cage. Nothing very fancy in BP.   Oh, a fancy paint job.       Best to Ya.   
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 12:47am
Ahh feasting my eyes on the front end... yum... thanks for posting the pic.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 8:51am
Heres the front end of the Folmer Javelin, troughs look trimmed the same way. I notice the splines sway bar set up too.

XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 2:20pm
Looking at this shot, it looks like they used the stock gauge panel, as well as most of the interior panels. Interior is painted in the machinery gray that so many race cars used.

XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 2:22pm
This shot from Daytona shows the wheel openings are pretty much stock 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2017 at 9:42am
Biggest reason a lot of old race car owners refused to sell was liability. Lots of modifications done to them, and they didn't want to be held responsible if someone got hurt either racing it or trying to put it back on the street. I wouldn't doubt it too much if some refused to sell because of illegal or questionable mods while they were racing... wouldn't want to be accused of winning all those races back in the day because they cheated... even if they did!
Frank Swygert
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 12:23am
Looking through the various pictures it appears that the car started out as #60, then to #6, #8(although I think the used tape to tune the 6 to an 8) , and back to #6.

The "Stauffer Tires" decals were likely put on when the car was sold after the 69 season, as they appear and the "TEAM" decals were removed. Those Stauffer  stickers were still in place when raced by Randall. Also the "BP" stickers were moved from the front to the back of the white meatball.

It also appears they used the 68 dash gauge pod and the interior plastic trim. But whether or not they used stock gauges is unknown.

Interesting sidenote. I bought some parts from a guy recently who road races a Javelin. He said he talked to one of the engineers on the AMX race team and he said "they had a 200 lb bumper on the back to help with balance".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic