TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - tail lights, parking lights always on, no turn sig
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tail lights, parking lights always on, no turn sig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 1:01pm
Thanks, George.  Surgery went well.  I just have to pretty much stay off my feet for the next two to three weeks.  That gives me plenty of tie to think about my problem with the AMX.  

I think I am going to go ahead and order replacement bulbs and a light switch.  I have to order a few other odds and ends, so I might as well gather parts and supplies so I will be ready to go when the doc releases me. Not that much and my luck would be that it test ok now, then fail me in a month or so.  Glad you enjoyed your AMX.  I lived then in a central Illinois town of 70,000 and my AMX was the only one in town.  I moved to Augusta, GA for a job and they didn't even know what my car was.  Then relocated to Bloomington, IN for a few years, then up into the north fringe Indianapolis area.  In all that time and driving I have never seen another on the road.  I have seen a few at car shows, but never more than one other besides mine.

I did check my switch pre-surgery and it does detent to the three positions.  The rheostat portion of it also works.  Obviously, I am hoping that a new switch, and returning all light bulbs back to original will help with (or solve) the problem.  Think I've over-done my time in the computer chair.  Enjoy communicating.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 6:04pm
FWIW I replaced just the tail light bulbs of my 69 AMX with super bright red LED replacements for the 1157 bulbs. These bulbs have a bunch of small smd leds's arranged around the barrel portion of the bulb and there's another ring of smd leds at the very top that are under a lens. The lens lines up perfectly with the center of the AMX tail light lens and the bulbs work beautifully. I kept the 1157NA bulbs in the front turn signals and I was able to keep the stock flasher. The LED bulbs are JDM ASTAR-1157-TJ-144R. I bought them in 2018 so the model numbers may have changed.

These LED bulbs made a HUGE difference in the brightness of the AMX tail lights. The fact that they also light instantly is a safety factor when braking or turning.

Edited by george w - Apr/16/2021 at 6:06pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Grabbman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 5:07pm
Thanks for the good information.  I was lucky to find tail light, back-up light and front turn signal bulbs all at my local O'Reilly store.  After replacing those six LED's with bulbs, everything is back to normal.  I did have those same red LED bulbs in the rear and I may try them again later.  I am not back to working on the car.  I meet with the surgical team in a week to see if they will release me.  In the meantime, I am dreaming for summer cruises in my AMX.  Thank you.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2021 at 3:17pm
Larry,
  Glad to see another AMX fan in central Indiana and glad you discovered the problem was the low current LED's before disassembling your car! If you haven't heard of it, the Suds Drive-in in Greenwood has a cruise in every Saturday night, 7-ish, weather permitting. You'd be shocked at the sheer number of cars that show up there. I've brought one of my AMX's a few times, and like you said, the only one there. When you get to 30 points in your posts, you can add pictures, I for one would love to see your AMX.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic