TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - tail lights, parking lights always on, no turn sig
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tail lights, parking lights always on, no turn sig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tail lights, parking lights always on, no turn sig
    Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 1:00pm
I had to attach a disconnect switch to my battery as tail lights and parking lights are always on, even if ignition is off.  Additionally, turn signals do not work.  This is a 1969 AMX.  I am the original owner, so I do know what has been done to this car since new, and I simply cannot fathom what this problem is.  Thank you.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 1:29pm
Start with a new headlight switch. It's cheap and easy. Most of these issues could all relate to a worn out switch.

Along the way, check the brake light switch...maybe replace it for good measure.

Turn signals....hmmm.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Grabbman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 2:09pm
Thank you.  I will install those switches and re-post with results.  Still looking for answers that include turn signals.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Grabbman Grabbman wrote:

Additionally, turn signals do not work.
Do they come on and stay on, or do they not come on at all?

There are two flasher units: one for the turn signals, one for the 4-ways. Do the 4-ways work?

Ansewrs to these questions will help diagnose.

Possible problems:
  1. burned out bulbs (one or several)
  2. bad or missing flasher unit
  3. bad turn signal switch

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Grabbman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 2:44pm
Thank you.  I will check those today.  Let me also add that I recently changed parking lights and tail lights to LED bulbs.  Car has been driven a few times since then.  Could this have anything to do with problems?  Thank you.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 2:57pm
That explains the problem. The OE turn signal flasher is current driven. Changing to LED significantly reduces the current in the circuit. You will need a replacement electronic flasher unit.

If you search this section with the words "LED" and "flasher", you will find some threads and solutions from people who have done the same conversion.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 4:01pm
First thing is that the lights are not switched through the ignition switch. The light circuit is always hot to the headlight switch. The turn signals are switched through the ignition but the emergency flasher function is not.
While LED bulbs will cause either a no flash or rapid flash condition with the OEM flasher(s) they won't cause a situation where the lights stay on all the time. With the parking lights and the tail lights on together it sounds like either the headlight switch is shorted(unlikely) or the switch may be broken internally or jammed not allowing the lights knob and shaft to go all the way in to the "Off" position.

Unplug the headlight switch and see what happens.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Grabbman Grabbman wrote:

Thank you.  I will check those today.  Let me also add that I recently changed parking lights and tail lights to LED bulbs.  Car has been driven a few times since then.  Could this have anything to do with problems?  Thank you.

No fair! Withholding information! Wink
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Grabbman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 11:59pm
You guys have all been great.  i am having a little surgery tomorrow so will not be "active" for 2-3 weeks.  In the meantime, I intend to replace those LED bulbs out with original type, replace the headlight switch and who knows what else?  Actually, I may order the bulbs, but nothing doing until the doc release4s me.
I bought my AMX in late March of 170.  It was an unsold '69 and I could afford it.  I had just returned from overseas and did have some cash in my pocket.  It is a 290, 4-speed with p/s and p/b.  Believe it or not, it came with stainless steel wire wheel covers on it.  There they were, listed right on the sheet.  I changed them quickly for some M/T mags which broke in half after a few years (literally - welds failed - luckily I was backing into a parking space.  No damage.)  My son already has dibs on it when I give up driving, so I know it will continue on in the family for quite a while.  I'd put a picture up but do not know how to do that. 

Again, thanks.  Be back to the keyboard sooner than under the car.

Edited by Grabbman - Apr/14/2021 at 12:09am
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2021 at 5:40am
Grabbman, best of luck with your surgery. I too bought my original 69 AMX as a leftover in the spring of 1970. I had my 67 Ambassador that I bought new and got drafted shortly thereafter. I ETS'd in January of 1970 and by springtime I was looking for something sporty and I was shopping for an AMX. My local dealer had a couple of 70s on the lot but informed me that the Philadelphia zone office had several (about 10) left over 69s that he could give me a very good deal on. I actually preferred the 69 look so I jumped on it. All the 69s were equipped the same. 390 Go Packs, a/c, leather, etc. Half were Willow Green and the other half were Bayshore Blue. I chose the Willow Green. I racked up over 225K miles on that car and sold it to a co worker in 1973. He kept it for over 40 years and racked up another 100K miles on it. The car still exists ! It's in Ross Peterson's collection.

As for your "lights on" trouble. Don't buy a new light switch until you've unplugged your switch to determine that the switch is at fault. I suspect that your switch may be OK and that either the headlight knob slipped on the shaft or the switch itself came loose not allowing the knob to go far enough inward to the off position. Did you confirm that the switch has 3 distinct "click" positions ? OFF, PARKING, HEADLIGHTS.

Edited by george w - Apr/14/2021 at 5:42am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic