TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T96 w/ OD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crummler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T96 w/ OD
    Posted: Jan/14/2022 at 6:06am
I have a 1961 Rambler Classic with a T96 3 spd manual transmission which needs to be rebuilt. I found a rebuilt T96 transmission with over drive from an American (model T96-1A, WG DIV N3) would this transmission work in my Classic? My Classic has torque tube driveline, not sure about the American. Thanks!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 6:18am
Don't believe any American's had a torque tube.
That stated, there was a torque tube version of the T96.
lots of discussion in this post and maybe one of these gentlemen will chime in with your best options:
Or just PM a couple of them directly.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 8:56pm
A couple things...

There are a few minor variations of the T96 transmission, a suffix letter, C, J, H, F, ... I think C is the common, American, weakest one. Some have bigger input shaft bearings and other features. I know little of the variations having only the smaller C's in Americans.

If it indeed was competently rebuilt, and the price is reasonable, that's a scarce commodity, I'd buy it, pending....

... Allegedly the only difference between the open (American) and closed (Classic) T96 back ends is the tail housing. There could be four possible differences (I suppose more, but these are four I know of):

SPeedo cable exit location (above, below)

Output spline count and size

Output shaft length

Tail housing casting

The tail housing castings are interchangable. But if the output shaft ("transmission shaft") length isn't the same, it won't work.  In this case, you could disassemble both transmissions and swap that output shaft. Can you spell PITA.

But it may be the same already. 

These transmissions are now scarce even thoguh they were common, because they are the weak link in the cars that came with them and parts are all used up.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2022 at 8:59pm
Also OD transmissions are longer than non- and so you'll need another driveshaft. And your gearing will be far too steep to use OD much unless you change the rear axle (gears).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2022 at 8:46pm
Nope -- OD and standard trans are the same length, at least in the torque tube cars. The non-OD model has a long output shaft and housing, a bit longer than the main trans case. The OD models have a very short torque tube adapter on the rear, just enough to bolt the torque tube to. So all you need to put an American OD trans in a Classic (both with 195.6 engine) is the torque tube adapter for a 56-61 big Rambler (just Rambler Six 56-60. Classic name added in 61 due to some confusion with the "new" Rambler American and Ambassador starting in 1958).
Frank Swygert
crummler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crummler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2022 at 10:28am
Thank you all for your time in responding. So what I can share with you is the following; the length of the transmissions are indeed the same length as farna mentioned, but as tomj mentioned the issue is the tail housing casting and transmission mounts. Too bad it was a good price, but I have been down that customization path and it gets expensive. If anyone knows of a T96 transmission w/overdrive for a 1961 Rambler Classic 6 please let me know! Thanks again!  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2022 at 11:50am
If you have a Classic with T96/OD that torque tube adapter will bolt to the OD unif from an American.
Frank Swygert
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2022 at 12:02pm
You could try calling the vendors you might get lucky. It's a cast aluminum part. It would not be difficult to swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic