TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 won't align on reinstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforce1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-10 won't align on reinstall
    Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 6:32am
Looking for a 26 tooth T-10 second gear.   Seems the 27 tooth I have now with the 243 counter gears is not allowing the main shaft to mesh so I can't get a straight drive line.   Gears I have with the 243 are input 21, third 24, second 27, and first 34.   The counter shaft is 27-21-19-18.    Just thinking the 26 tooth gear would also bring the 2nd gear ratio to the customary 176 it likely should be.   This is a trannie I've had for years and all the parts came from it so I'm stumped.   Suggestions?  Thanks, Steve
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2022 at 8:11am
the_j View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2022 at 4:00pm
parts can be hard to find, It appears Brian at S&k keeps a lot of amc t10 parts, his number is 631.957.9427. you have to call, its an old school shop with no website. Theres an early style thin flange gear, and a late style thick flange, you will need to mate the correct gear/flange
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2022 at 7:58am
Originally posted by airforce1 airforce1 wrote:

Looking for a 26 tooth T-10 second gear.   Seems the 27 tooth I have now with the 243 counter gears is not allowing the main shaft to mesh so I can't get a straight drive line.   Gears I have with the 243 are input 21, third 24, second 27, and first 34.   The counter shaft is 27-21-19-18.    Just thinking the 26 tooth gear would also bring the 2nd gear ratio to the customary 176 it likely should be.   This is a trannie I've had for years and all the parts came from it so I'm stumped.   Suggestions?  Thanks, Steve

Everything you listed is for a 2.43 ratio except second gear.  You should have the 26 tooth, not a 27 tooth.  The 27 tooth second is for the 2.23 and the 2.64 ratios. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
airforce1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforce1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 12:30pm
Thanks for the input .   I certainly seem to need a 26 tooth gear.   When I get one it will still not be an easy swap due to the large snap ring that holds it in place.  

Steve
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2022 at 12:47pm
use a dremel mini grinder using a very small stone and grind it at the half way point from the opening and grind half way thur the ring and then it will bend and snap. always use new rings.
airforce1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforce1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2022 at 7:59am
So, where would I purchase the large retaining clip to replace the one I grind off?  

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2022 at 2:59pm
You can buy the proper pliers to remove the retaining rings.  Wilde makes them, and Proto sells what appears to be a Wilde rebrand. 
airforce1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforce1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2022 at 7:23am
Thanks for information on the difference between second gear sizes as well as tool necessary to remove the gear.   At present the snap ring is VERY scarce so removal and reinstall was/is the best option.  The best tool for snap ring removal is the one like is shown in AMC literature.   When the correct gear was installed, assembly was quick and easy.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic