TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Switch P/S pump 1969 290 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switch P/S pump 1969 290 AMX
    Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 11:35am
I have a 69 AMX with 290. I want to switch to the Saginaw p/s pump.  Obviously, I now have the Eaton.  Is this an easy switch?  What special brackets, hoses, fittings, etc. may be needed to accomplish this?  Thank you.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 11:49am
You need the two piece Saginaw style bracket, bolts/spacers, hoses.
Eaton is not a bad pump if the seal kit is installed properly. Most people seem to want to get rid of them because of leaks.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Grabbman Grabbman wrote:

I have a 69 AMX with 290. I want to switch to the Saginaw p/s pump.  Obviously, I now have the Eaton.  Is this an easy switch?  What special brackets, hoses, fittings, etc. may be needed to accomplish this?  Thank you.

I think RebelMachine, MstrCrafter, Mopar_Guy, or GreyHoundsAMX have a setup with Gen 2 arrangement, which is nicer looking and has some benifits. One is you will need to adjust pump pressure. There are kits for that.

As for mounting there are universal Gen 2 mounting kits, and there may be one or two who make them for AMC V8.

The members who I stated, may pop in on this and give you the low down.

CamJam found a source for the pulley required for GM pumps... Some Dorman number at NAPA. I think early Gen 2 truck versions can use the Sagnaw v grooved pully.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/27/2021 at 11:58am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 1:10pm
Control Freak suspension sells a pump/bracket kit to put a GM type II pump on a Gen2/3 V-8.  It is lower pressure since it's made for a rack/pinion.   That's what I'm going to run on my 67 Rambler.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Grabbman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grabbman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 4:58pm
I have tried two new Eaton pumps and, you guessed it, I cannot get a good seal with my reservoir.  I have also gone through two gasket/o-ring kits.  I have sanded the reservoir base and pump face smooth and tried gasket material.  I purchased this car new in March 1970 upon returning from overseas duty.  I have never had a p/s leak between pump and reservoir in 51 years of ownership.  It is frustration that has me possibly going with the Saginaw pump.  I continue to be open to suggestions about getting a good seal with the Eaton pump.  Thanks, everyone.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2021 at 6:10pm
Find a wrecker with a 76 to 80 Jeep 304 or 360. Take the brackets, pump and bolts. The pulley is press fit and can be move to align or pull one off a GM that better suits.
While your at it take the alternator and brackets also.
Cornelius Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornelius Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 9:07pm
In case anyone is interested, I used a small block Ford power steering bracket from Borgeson Steering on my 390 in my '69 AMX. It bolts right up to the head. All I had to do was shorten the long spacers that come in the kit. Cost, I think, was about $75 + shipping from Summit Racing. Then I ordered a SBC power steering pulley also from Summit (Do a search here for the part number for a replacement pulley for the '72 and up Saginaw pump.) The pump was a rebuilt from a local parts store. (Paid the $17 core charge.) The hoses are also '72 and up.

Difficult to see in the pix but is MUCH cleaner looking than the original bracket for the Saginaw pump.

Cornelius Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornelius Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 9:15pm
Part number for the bracket is 802409.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2021 at 6:53pm
Hmm, I’ve had the exact opposite experience - the Saginaw pumps I’ve had in the past, as well the one currently on my daily driver, either leak at the fittings or between the pump and the reservoir, whereas the Eatons I’ve owned in the past and the current one on my ‘69 AMX do not leak. The Eaton is actually a nice pump. 
amcorphan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcorphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 4:58pm
I've had both Eaton & Saginaw power steering pumps. I prefer the Eaton pump. After many years of service they can leak from the 2 o-rings under the reservoir bowl. Just a personal choice I guess...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic