TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

swapping two wire starter for a three wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swapping two wire starter for a three wire
    Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 11:54am
I have a good three wire starter from my parts car 68 American 199 and I installed it in my 66 Classic 232. I did not notice until I was hooking up the wires that I only have the big wire and the blue small wire. Will it work as is?  
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 10:48am
So the 68 american had a resistance wire built into the wiring harness for use with the ignition coil they used on that car. The third wire was used to bypass the resistor wire for easier starting. The solenoid on the starter has a relay built into it for the purpose. 

The 66 rambler classic was not equipped with an external resistor wire and so does not need the third wire. The resistor is built into the coil on that car.
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2021 at 8:38am
Thanks first gear. Got it running and even even went to the local car show/cruse in. Man how I like driving this car!
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic