TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sunoco Company 71 Javelins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunoco Company 71 Javelins
    Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 7:04am
Looking for information about cars the company might have had.
Which were used in promotions or as company cars.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 7:09am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 7:30am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 7:40am
I never hear of Sunoco having a specific AMC promotional car for 71, let alone a Javelin. Unless you are thinking of the factory race cars that had Sonoco sponsorship. Basically Sonoco sponsored various AMC cars through the years in AMC racing history from the late 60s onward.

The most notable of the 71 Javelins was Sunoco's carry over from Penske / Donohue team effort started in 68/69 with the Camaro. For the most part Sunoco followed Penske on all his cars, which Donohue happend to be his main driver. The 71 Javelin was setup mostly the same as the 70 Javelin that Penske ended with in the 70 racing season. Just different body style for the new year.

Sunoco never commissioned a Javelin for direct marketing campaigns, their marketing was just to have the public see their name on a winning team in auto racing. The car shown in ads was directed for AMC'S sales campaign, and their proud winning season, to show the Javelin was as good and if not better than the Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers out on the lots.

If you want some of AMC'S history with Penske, the book Unfair Advantage explains in detail and a lot more than most of the chapters in the book. I would say Donohue had fond memories and a lot of time invested with the Javelin from 70 to 71 than any of the cars he raced with once he started as Penske's driver.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/03/2017 at 7:46am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tedjr1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2017 at 9:30am
304 dude thanks but I am referring to company cars not racers . In fact I think I am looking for information on cars Sunoco might have used in their "Beautification Patrol". This would have been for inspections of their gas stations.
DetroitAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DetroitAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 11:39pm

Any particular color of these cars?
Sunoco logo I'm sure.
tedjr1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 5:15am
I have seen a photo of a blue car. Not sure which blue.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by tedjr1 tedjr1 wrote:

304 dude thanks but I am referring to company cars not racers . In fact I think I am looking for information on cars Sunoco might have used in their "Beautification Patrol". This would have been for inspections of their gas stations.

This was mentioned in The Unfair Advantage. No real info on the cars though.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 4:56pm
OK, I looked it up in my revised reprint version of "The Unfair Advantage" Rodger Penske bought the first 18 Mark Donohue Javelins for Sun Oil Company and SUNOCO hired 18 young girls to go around to the gas stations with a check list .(Beatification Patrol) There no mention in the book of what color the 1970 Mark Donohue Javelin were , just that they were the first 18. They had one left over Mark Donohue eventually bought it for his mother. So, the cars were 1970s not 1971s and may not have been blue. No other information is given in the book. Page 193 has a few lines telling the tale. No other info is available that I'm aware of but some may come up with some thing. I always surprised by what people due come up with on AMCs. LRDaum
LRDaum
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2019 at 4:55am
could be interesting to see some pictures of the Beautification Patrol 
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic