TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stripped hub, 1963 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped hub, 1963 Rambler Classic
    Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 1:33pm
Good morning, or whenever it is when you read this. I have my car mostly back together and I actually had it running well enough to try to take a trip around the block, however this revealed to me that I have a significant issue that I need to resolve. When I would set off in the vehicle I would hear a crunching scraping noise which at first I thought was brakes but then I realized that it only happened when giving the car a little bit of power in forward or reverse. So I remembered reading that the hubs on these vehicles could slip so I made some marks with sharpie on the axle nut in the hub and then drove it again and sure enough the driver side moved. I took everything apart and the nut on the outside was loose enough to take off by hand which I know is wrong because I believe it should be torqued to 250 foot pounds. I then pulled the hub and found out that the inside of it is worn smooth. The actual splines look decent, but there is some galling around the taper portion. I guess I need some guidance as to whether I should source an axle and a hub, a new hub, or what else I can do in this situation. I left a message with Blaser as they were mentioned in another thread. On the plus side the engine runs extremely smoothly although even with good compression and a rebuilt head it is smoking a bit, but I'll address that in another thread.  

1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 2:29pm
Oh, this gives me painful memories on the Eagle.
I've never verified but the inside of the hub doesn't have splines from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong.
When the hub is initially put on and torqued the shaft cuts its own splines and you just hoped they never failed. If they ever strip out depending the damage it was time for a new hub.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 6:24pm
The splines on the axle look very sharp once clean, I could probably get away with a new hub, if I can find one.  Although, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer, but is there supposed to be a key on the shaft?
1963 Rambler Classic 550
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 7:57pm
My 62 Classic TSM shows a woodruff key on the shaft.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 8:06pm
My tsm mentions it as well but there is no key or keyway to speak of, the plot thickens. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 9:50pm
Although I would think they're overkill for a '63 Rambler, how about one-piece axles?  What is the cost of a new hub?  A new Moser axle for my AMX cost me $300 with shipping.  Of course, there's the extra work to install (bearings, seals, etc.).
Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 9:52pm
I was looking at those but it seems there only for the model 20 rear axle, mine has the model 15 unless maybe there’s a source I’m not aware of. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 4:14am
In your picture, the tapered part of the axle shaft is pretty galled from spinning.   There's probably a keyway somewhere under that transferred metal.  If the taper on the axle is rough, I doubt a new hub would seat properly anyway.   Best bet is to look for a used hub/axle assembly that hasn't spun.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 8:39am
I thought that could be the case, and I think you’re right I’d be better off getting the axle and hub.  May as well do the seal and bearing. 

I’ll be hunting one today, if anyone has a lead on a supplier I’d appreciate it. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 9:12am
Good luck shopping.
Have a question for those that might know. My 86 jeep had a Dana35 axle that was the AMC15 that Dana picked up some time after AMC stopped making them.
They are 27 spline, 5x4.5 bolt pattern. 
Has anyone tried a Dana35 axle in an AMC15?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic