TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stainless steel trim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stainless steel trim
    Posted: May/14/2021 at 3:24pm
Hey. what are you guys using to polish the stainless steel trim on your cars? 
being Alive is not the same as Living
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 3:32pm
Pro buffing wheel and white rouge 
they call me Capt RETIRED!
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:02pm
Thanks. Will try local parts store for that. What is white rouge?
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:09pm
A tube of fine buffing compound.  You will not find that at auto store.  You have to have a machine to buff stainless.  A hand job won't do anything
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 4:14pm
can you recommend a shop then. I have an extra set that I can send off while the other set is still on car.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 6:39pm
You would have to do a google search for your area.  Also, this stuff is too large to ship elsewhere and would likely be damaged if you tried.  Find a trim shop near you for best results.  They can also fix dents and scratches.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 7:20pm
Polishing can be done, at home, by the enthusiast. You need a supply of increasingly fine sandpaper, a bench grinder with a cloth wheel, and some buffing compound for stainless.

The deeper the scratches, the coarser the sandpaper you need to start with - dents need to be hammered out first. Generally, I start with 250 and progress through 2000 before using the buffing wheel. Stainless is hard as heck and goes through paper like crazy.

Long pieces, like drip rails, are very easy to bend or kink - BE CAREFUL!
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 8:02pm
Thanks. I guess I have some research to do. Mine aren't dented and only lightly scratched. Just want them to shine more.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 10:28pm
I used a place called "The Finishing Touch" in Chicago.   Mine was done in 2007 and ran about $35 per linear foot.   The rain gutter stainless on mine looked like someone attacked it with a hammer, it came back looking factory new.  Total cost for doing EVERY piece of stainless on the car was about $1800, but I figured when I already had nearly $30K invested in the restoration, that was less than 10% of the total on the restore. The shiny stainless is the first thing a lot of people notice at shows.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 5:29am
Thanks I will look them up. I just need the wheel well moldings and the rocker arm pieces done. The rest are good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic