TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SS AMX question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 8:58am
i have owned one and restored a few. the ss/amx came from amc/hurst with the 2.23 first gear trans. there were bullitins sent out that recomended using the 2.64 trans. the ss/amx was a semi finished car for the racer to complete. it was not ready to race as delivered.
American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 11:41am
Thanks folks, sounds like they came with the 223's and maybe change later.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by rodhhrod rodhhrod wrote:

Thanks folks, sounds like they came with the 223's and maybe change later.

Well, no, they did come with the 2.23 transmission; not "sounds like...". This is documented in the parts list for the SS AMX and either the window sticker or similar. This has been posted online before, and I have all the info but am not going to post it. The SS AMX specific parts list says the transmission is the same as production; and the window sticker, or similar says, close ratio....

You are not going to get any more proof than this 52 years later despite what hearsay you find online and what the spreadsheet and calculator "experts" say the ratio must be. Every SS AMX probably went thru multiple transmissions a year launching at 7000+ RPM so it's doubtful that any car still has the original today to prove this- other than factory documentation.

Like mad max said, there were a series of performance bulletins to optimize the cars and it was said to use the service part 2.64 gear T-10 for optimum performance. this was discontinued from production use a year prior, or more.
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 11:13pm
SP.....sounds like a bunch of hearsay...I was not there but I bet the drivers may have received a 2.23 but did there own thing and built their own gear box.Just like engine mods.  So 2.64 with a second of 1.82 who knows . 

Edited by 70amxvegas - Jan/19/2021 at 11:16pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 8:43am
So is this good enough to quell the cries of hearsay???????

AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 10:52pm
I don't want to get into what was supplied or not.  But I am curious about the 2.64 first gear ratio T-10.  There have been numerous posts over the years that have given me the impression that the 2.64 ratio would barely survive a 290.  And yet the recommendation is to put a 2.64 behind what is decidedly more than a street 401 would ever be capable of?  What was the lifespan of a 2.64 in this service?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I don't want to get into what was supplied or not.  But I am curious about the 2.64 first gear ratio T-10.  There have been numerous posts over the years that have given me the impression that the 2.64 ratio would barely survive a 290.  And yet the recommendation is to put a 2.64 behind what is decidedly more than a street 401 would ever be capable of?  What was the lifespan of a 2.64 in this service?

I have a friend with one in his AMX. Well built 401, he drives car like it belongs to someone else. At the strip and with slicks it blew the teeth off of the main drive and front gear of the cluster after about 10 runs down the track. Looking for parts to fix it seems most parts are out there, except the main drive and cluster.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 8:44am
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

I have a friend with one in his AMX. Well built 401, he drives car like it belongs to someone else. At the strip and with slicks it blew the teeth off of the main drive and front gear of the cluster after about 10 runs down the track. Looking for parts to fix it seems most parts are out there, except the main drive and cluster.

If your friend's experience is typical, how could AMC make the 2.64 recommendation in good faith?  I would think you would have to have spare transmissions stacked up like cord wood if you followed the recommendaiton for even one season.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 12:42pm

I would think it all comes down to the driver.  Ive seen one that could drive and not break anything. 
And the next one could break an iron ball.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 2:51pm
I appreciate the comments.  There are two goals I have for my Machine, to make it more highway friendly and to make it more stop and go friendly.  For goal #1 I've decided on a 3.15 rear end.  For goal #2 I'm leaning towards the 2.64 transmission.  With the 15" tires a Machine has, I would think this would be better than the 2.43.  But I don't want to do something that is really stupid and be working on the transmission every six months.  Thus all the questions about real world durability.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic