TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sniper EFI on 195.6 OHV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 12:04am
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

Looks great.I use Holley Projection.

How was the tuning process?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 8:04am
  I was looking at the RobbMC and Edelbrock high pressure pump/reservoir system.  both are intended to be filled by the mechanical pump and have a high pressure pump inside.  The edelbrock has a float inside to manage fuel flow, and the RobbMC has a bypass regulator built in.  I spoke with RobbMC and he said that there were still issues with the pump getting hot when the system was not in the airflow to keep it cool.  Apparently just fuel flow isn't enough to keep it cool.
  Something to keep in mind with your system.  Are you going to run a regulator for the TBI?  I didn't on my sniper.  You may be in good shape with the constant flow from your low pressure electric keeping the HP pump cool.
  Pretty great project.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 9:43am
The thing about those reservoir systems is that they're usually mounted in the engine compartment where the heat is at plus the pump in there adds more heat. If it's out front to stay cool, good luck to you if you were to get into an accident and that thing leaks or bursts....  
I'm waiting to see some fires caused by the float sticking in the ones that have that.

I've been doing these EFI systems with just a single line (returnless) up to the throttle body. I put the regulator as close to the tank as possible. I don't use the variable speed pump either. If it needs vacuum to the regulator, I use brake line for hardline to keep the vacuum signal strong. It works quite well. The less the fuel has to travel the less heat added to the fuel. It makes for a simpler, cleaner install.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 10:22am
You should be able to use the factory tank outlet for fuel supply and if you want to save drilling the tank, you can return to the fuel fill tube.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 5:44pm
This seems like some heavy stuff.... Better keep my focus on the 
Carter yfa clone that I just unboxed....better to stay safe....
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 6:49pm
Back in the last century HOT ROD mag had an article with a under hood fuel sump.  It was a small rectangular tank with a Holley fuel bowl and float assembly on the side to control  fuel level.
I believe the fabricator was Lil John Buttera
Nick

Edited by nickleone - Nov/18/2021 at 6:52pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 9:40pm
I'm going with an external 60 psi fuel pump. The Sniper has a built-in regulator, 58.5 PSI, so "head" is low, and it will be mostly circulating, as will be the small 4 psi pusher out back.

The swirlpot, really just big enough to put all four fittings on, will live down low on the passenger side, about where engine meets trans. Where the factory fuel line turns from steel to rubber. Safe, cool, moderate air flow.

The 60 psi external pump will live next to it, where firewall meets fender, under the battery (it's weirdly up high, to the left of the heater box, on these early cars, actually a good location).  From there, commercially made PTFE SS braid AN hose assemblies. this keeps the engine compartment high-pressure fuel short and safe from minor fire, but also abrasion and all that crap. (The Sniper's return line, though not pressurized, will be in the SS braid also.) Low-pressure fuel will remain where AMC put it. 

I'm sketching it up to make the shopping list. I'm delayed by a trip next week, and also today, my new engine had water seeping up two head studs... I pulled the head hoping to find gasket issues. Indeterminate, so I bolted it back up (with a new head gasket and very carefully done) only to find a lot of water+oil in the valve cover I hadn't seen on disassembly. Proto-mayonaise.  So I suspect I have a cracked head, which pisses me off, as I explicitly told the shop to crack-check it. Maybe they did, but they may have missed it...

So I have a newly-installed headgasket and wondering if I should bother to even start it to see

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2021 at 9:46pm
In-tank fuel pumps always seemed to me to be a way for OEMs to cheap out. There's a design elegance to it that's appealing, but all I hear is trouble with them. Putting one in a swirlpot seems like a bad idea, because of the heat and also due to how they pick fuel out of the tank. 

Also lots of those HOT ROD articles are about high-horsepower applications making huge demands on all components. My problem is that I can't find stuff small enough. 13 gph! It's more like 10, and that's flat-out-top-gear-climbing-a-hill. 

I don't know how warm the 60 psi pump will get. I suppose I shoudl research it!

Edited by tomj - Nov/18/2021 at 9:48pm

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 10:19am
Tomj, you said you saw water+oil in the valve cover, I've noticed what kind of looks like oily condensation at the top of the valve cover on my 195.6, is that similar to what you saw? And would that definitely meen there's water in the oil? The shop I had do my engine build said they magnafluxed it and it's not cracked, but maybe it was.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 10:32am
When I swapped my T-Bird Turbo Coupe engine into my Pinto wagon the donor car had the "in tank" fuel pump. I found that certain Ford Pickup trucks from..., the 80's had an external fuel pump and it works just fine. The system has a 40-45 lb. aspect that doesn't meet the 60  lb.'s you are looking for but maybe there is something else out there. It sits in a metal housing and is wrapped with foam to diminish noise. This was back in 2008 but I think I paid $10 for the pump at the now defunct U-Pick Parts in Sun Valley.

'63 American Hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic