TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sniper EFI on 195.6 OHV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2022 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Scrappy Scrappy wrote:

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'd go with a MicroSquirt now, as it's compact, reliable and easy to program. The only issue is it just has two injector drivers (IIRC... but four ignition pulses), so it's good for TBI or batch fire, not sequential injection.

That'd be a good choice, but as to the benefit of sequential, there's none when it's TBI, and when it's port injection, sequential is mainly useful for improving idle quality and emissions.  You also need additional sensors, so there's that.

For modern engines (by this I mean 1970s! Lol) port injection is at least doable physically.  TBI is the only choice on this engine.  All I wanted was the low hanging fruit.... And yeah the old GM stuff has too few sensors to do a thorough job. 

Now we're subject to aftermarket quality.... Now car folk like us have always complained about parts quality, I think in the past not enough with merit. But wow things really have gone to crap, quality control seems to be the problem. Fast to market and too fast engineering cycles nothing gets developed. All R and no D. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I wonder if you have a bad injector. A guy I work with was just telling me last week that Holley has had a lot of issues with bad injectors in the Sniper systems right out of the box. Got to love the aftermarket quality these days. Disapprove

Could be injector or driver, not sure how is tell but of course I didn't try, at that point I was kinda done. What an expensive project. 

What's funny (not) is that I did at the end what I should have done at the beginning: buy an A/F ratio meter and spend the time tweaking the carb.  

I have it now at 13.5 AFR idle, 15.5 to 16 cruise, WOT highway about 12.5. closed thottle decel is 15 to 17. Part throttle load 14 to 15 . Slight lean at transfer low to high speed; I think turning the little screw on the road lifter will dial that in. 

And found that the screw can be adjusted without taking the top off the carb! (YF).  There's a little plug over a hole on the top casting. Pop it out, drive and tune, press it back in.  

I bought some metering rods on ebay. 

Edited by tomj - Apr/19/2022 at 10:06pm

Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2022 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by Scrappy Scrappy wrote:

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'd go with a MicroSquirt now, as it's compact, reliable and easy to program. The only issue is it just has two injector drivers (IIRC... but four ignition pulses), so it's good for TBI or batch fire, not sequential injection.

That'd be a good choice, but as to the benefit of sequential, there's none when it's TBI, and when it's port injection, sequential is mainly useful for improving idle quality and emissions.  You also need additional sensors, so there's that.
For modern engines (by this I mean 1970s! Lol) port injection is at least doable physically.  TBI is the only choice on this engine.  All I wanted was the low hanging fruit.... And yeah the old GM stuff has too few sensors to do a thorough job.

[Bold emphasis mine]

Understood, which is why I specifically mentioned there was no benefit for TBI.  I meant the MicroSquirt system is a good choice for a system, not that implementing sequential injection (which is an impossibility in this context) was a good idea.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2022 at 11:39pm
Scrappy -- that's how I understood what you wrote. 

Thoigh the trough cover is easy to make the angle required for injectors puts them in the cast iron. I got one physically and pored over drawings and spray patterns. There's some really exotic injectors that spray an angled pattern but they were hundreds each and scarce. 

Meh. I admit defeat, lol. If I find a feedback carb I might play with that. But not soon!

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2022 at 6:43am
I absolutely hate feedback carbs! I suppose it would be a bit better than a regular carb, but it's so close to a TBI system in costs you may as well go that route. A MicroSquirt with an OEM small 2V or large 1V TBI (from a 2.8/3.0 V6 or 2.5L four) and OEM type sensors would be great, and probably a good bit less money (but more work) than the Sniper. And I suspect a lot more reliable.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2022 at 11:03pm
 Malaise Era smog and primitive systems were hateful, and feedback carbs were half-fast solutions at best. I have no interest in the bucket of hoses approach either.  

I'm just thinking that the feedback YFA, without a bit of that old smog crap, might be used simply as an adjustable main jet carb. 

I live at sea level and drive thousands of miles a year above 5000 feet, but probably not a lot of people do that.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 7:15am
So you would be making your own controller? Hmmm... if you go that route it might prove interesting. Few of us have that capability, but you do! Could actually end up being a viable hobby product, especially if it works with the BBD 2V feedback carb also. There were no 4V feedbacks AFAIK.
Frank Swygert
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 7:34am
I've followed this thread since you started it and I was impressed with what you did and how you worked through the different issues you encountered along the way so I don't get why you would spend so much time and money to put the Sniper on only to rip it all off without trying to figure out what was wrong. And now you're going to mess with a pos feedback carb? It doesn't make any sense to me. Confused Confused Anytime you make a big upgrade like fuel injection you're bound to have a few bugs in the system that you need to work through. When they start pushing E15 out, I think anyone with a carburetor is going to have issues running it so you might regret pulling that off so soon. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 9:02am
hi, too bad the 1bbl Sniper didn't work out for you. I have a 2bbl Sniper BBD on the hopped up 258 in my 77 Hornet AMX. I love the thing! I did however have an initial problem, got the Sniper installed, ran for a couple of weeks, then one day, would not start at all. Looked at it, and one barrel was completely full of fuel. Turns out it was a bad injector. Holley didn't argue about it, and sent me a new unit within a week. The new unit has so far, almost a year now, been trouble free. I have done absolutely NOTHING to it, just let it "learn" by itself. I'm not a computer guy. I do have a fuel pressure gauge on it, and Holleys in tank fuel pump system. Ignition is DUI. Total cost, including installation, a little under $2000. I'm hoping it proves reliable!

To compare, I just rebuilt the original Carter YFA on my 79 232 Spirit. Total cost, about, $50. Reliability almost guaranteed!  :)  good luck,  gz
george z
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2022 at 10:56pm
gz, I'm sure Holley will make good and it will eventually be trouble free. But in my case the gain for all that complexity wasn't a good deal. The idea of being 2000 miles from home with dead EFI anything literally kept me up at night. 

When it comes back from Holley I'll bundle it up for sale. I worked out 90% of the details for the 195.6 and this chassis. There's not any real mysteries left. 

If I were to do it again I'd use an external pump.  The in tank stuff is too fraught. I'm skeptical of overheat failures. I ran a 42 psi external for GM TBI and that was a no brainer. Carrying a spare is no big deal. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic