TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Smoking after reassembly, 1963 Rambler classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking after reassembly, 1963 Rambler classic
    Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 1:41pm
Good afternoon , or morning depending where you are. I've reassembled my engine to the point where I can start it run it up to temperature adjust the valves and listen for strange noises. Other than a little bit of an oil seep around the fuel pump gasket which I will probably resolve with sealant the engine seems to run extremely smoothly with a very nice idle. However, it smokes, what I consider a good bit and I'm not certain how the oil is getting into the combustion chambers but I pulled the spark plugs and all six of them have a little bit of fresh oily residue inside. I had the head completely rebuilt by what is our areas long running and very reputable machine shop so I assume that the valves and the seals were done correctly. The engine had good compression when I cranked it over and checked it before disassembly however I can't seem to locate the piece of paper that had the values on it but I do remember them being at or close to spec. So now I'm trying to figure out how oil is getting into the combustion chamber and if this is something that may resolve after the engine runs a little bit and goes through a few heat cycles.

Thoughts?

1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 2:34pm
If you get good compression and you are still finding oil on the plugs I can only think of seriously bad blow-by or oil is getting past the valve stems.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 3:43pm
PVC wide open is a possibility.
Rings not seating is certainly up there. Did you put in new pistons and rings or just hone and re-ring?
The reason I ask is the machine shops here do a plateau finish with 400 grit for chrome moly rings on every block. I find it too smooth for any rings to seat. Going over them quickly with a 320 hone seems to fix the issue.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 6:18pm
I didn’t mess with the cylinders as the compression was good, I have a new pcv valve not that that means it’s working properly.  I did note that when shutdown there is oil dripping out the lower vac port under the carb,  I'm not sure how oil would even be there while running?
1963 Rambler Classic 550
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 6:56pm
Yeah that is no good at all. You are blowing oil into the manifold.
A good PCV will close when the positive pressure in the crankcase is equal to the vacuum on the valve but if there is excessive blow-by the pressure will force the PCV open.

Edited by MIPS - Dec/06/2022 at 6:59pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 6:58pm
But from where is the question?  It’s very oily, I wonder if I should disconnect the pcv and see if it clears?

Edited by mtrosclair - Dec/06/2022 at 7:10pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 7:31pm
Yes, plug/cap the PVC connection to vacuum and test the engine. It should not take long to determine if this is the problem. If oily air escapes from the crankcase opening, you know the rings are not sealing well yet.  
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 7:38pm
I did think about something, is it possible to install the side cover upside down where maybe it’s allowing too much oil to be sucked up? 

I’m just dreading that I’ve made an error that will require it to be torn down again. 

Edited by mtrosclair - Dec/06/2022 at 7:51pm
1963 Rambler Classic 550
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 8:24pm
You only did the head, right? Left rings and cylinders alone?
You can have good compression and still have oil rings that are dirty/stuck/not doing their job.
If you have blue smoke coming out the exhaust (as opposed to white or dark), then you are definitely burning oil.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 8:34pm
Correct, just the head.  It is burning oil for sure but it is so much that I can’t imagine that I’d get this consistently across all six cylinders unless it was coming through the intake. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic