TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Smoke and Leaking Transmission Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoke and Leaking Transmission Fluid
    Posted: May/03/2020 at 11:43am
Last night in Cedar Rapids we had a "Cruise The Avenue" parade and hundreds of classic cars came to drive up and down the avenue along with the general public. After one pass the traffic was bumper to bumper and moving at a snails pace. I was driving my 67 290 automatic Rogue and all went well until I noticed my temp gauge rise up to the middle of the gauge. It normally runs around the 1/4 mark. I put the transmission in neutral and would rev it a little to move some air flow through the radiator to prevent overheating. I decided to turn off the avenue onto the interstate after about 30 minutes of crawling along behind tail lights as far as you could see. My son was following behind on his motorcycle and noticed a lot of smoke coming out from under the car when I accelerated. I assumed it was moisture or unburnt fuel from idling so long. Bottom line I drove about 5 minutes home at 45mph. I parked outside the garage and let things cool down before pulling into the garage. when I moved the car into the garage there was a puddle about 4x8 inches on the driveway. Red transmission fluid for sure. I put cardboard under the car to catch additional leaks and noticed the exhaust pipes had burnt red streaks on it along with fluid on the underside of the car. I haven't had a chance to raise the car up to see where its coming from, just curious what others think may have happened and what seals may need to be replaced or what to look for. Is it possible the transmission fluid overheated and the fluid leaked out the fill tube or did I lose a seal somewhere? The car ran fine and I didn't notice any shifting issue. I need to go to my other garage to grab a floor jack and jack stands so I can crawl under the car to do further investigation. As far as leaks in the past, only minor, as with all old cars there is minimal seepage from transmission pan, engine oil and occasional antifreeze drips under the car. Nothing like this! BTW I just pulled the Rogue out of storage for the first and hopefully not the last drive of the season.
Mike
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 11:47am
One additional note. The previous owner replaced the transmission prior to my purchase with a NOS one and added a transmission cooler in front of and separate of the radiator. 
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 11:48am
The transmission is the aluminum M40 I believe.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 12:23pm
Sounds like the vacuum modulator blew out... allowing the engine to suck tranny fluid from the valve through the vacuum line. Disconnect the vacuum line and cap the nipple. See if it keeps happening after a few runs. Happens all the time with old modulators. I have a good one on my 71 tranny... If it fits?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 5:31pm
I had a '68 Javelin 232 automatic that overheated and boiled out of the dipstick tube, this was after doing a lot of slow hill climbing while looking for an address.  There weren't any seal leaks in my case.
Faster is Better
Fred_Frick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_Frick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 5:37pm
Or how about a leak from the trans cooler lines.dripping or spraying on the hot exhaust.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Fred_Frick Fred_Frick wrote:

Or how about a leak from the trans cooler lines.dripping or spraying on the hot exhaust.

Ah, another issue... since it was a new replacement... lines may not be tight at the cooler.

Also I get confused, on what year is air cooled... then no lines?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 7:07pm
pull the vacuum line from the trans at the intake see if it wet with tran fluid
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 9:30pm
Update on the smoke and transmission leak.
I have the car up on ramps at the rear and jack stands at the front so i can roll under on my creeper. 

mixed up; I pulled the vacuum line off the manifold and no fluid at all in the tube or the fitting in the manifold so that should rule out a bad diaphragm in the vacuum modulator.

Transmission cooler lines are not leaking and appear tight, no leaks at the transmission cooler up  front. The rubber connector from the vacuum modulator to the metal vacuum line is intact. 

The bottom of the bell hosing has trans fluid on it so does the trans pan and front bolts on the pan still have fluid on the head of the bolts. Its clear trans fluid has been thrown or spayed all over the exhaust pipes from the transmission back to almost the rear axel. So the smoke i believe was from the fluid burning off the hot exhaust pipes. No fluid leaking around the rear seal prior to the driveshaft and u joints.

I can just barely see up between the transmission and the bell housing at what appears to be the rear of the torque converter and the input shaft of the transmission. It looks wet so i think the front seal may be leaking. 

One other issue: I wonder if anyone has a picture of the top of the dipstick tube. Or what is the factory length of the tube? Is it the  same on a M11, I have one of those on my Ambassador? Mine looks almost like it was cut off and the dip stick is bent and hard to get in all the way. Not sure where it's suppose to be on an American, mine is touching the rear exhaust manifold bolt and is under the fan blower motor, very hard to get too. so I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate fluid level when i check the fluid. If its been shortened then that would explain the high fluid level and the fact it bends when pushed in all the way as if its hitting the bottom of the transmission pan. If it the correct length then its way overfilled! Ive never added fluid to it. 
I checked this cold and without it running plus car is not totally level so that could be a factor. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2020 at 9:41pm
Hmm... back up a bit here?

You installed an NOS! transmission recently? (I've never heard of such! A complete new never used transmission? Wow.) 

If it was 20+ years old never used, the rubber seals could all be bad. I do NOT know that to be true. But I would be skeptical/suspicious. I don't mean to add to your worries here, but when old enough, NOS isn't automatically great.

Have you driven it previously with the new transmission? Does it have ordinary driving miles on it, so that you know that it has a record of operating correctly? I only ask because you didn't state, and we don't know your car...

Last, how did you fill it up? If the car/trans doesn't have a lot of miles, and you overfilled it, it could easily have foamed up, out the filler tube, made a mess, etc. 

Fluid level is checked in a particular way: warmed up, go through all the gears, engine running, stopped in NEUTRAL not Park, on level ground, etc.

My method of finding leaks is to go to a magic-wand type car wash, get everything clean, then drive'n'drip. Drive for 5 minutes, warmed up, park over newspapers and craw underneath and follow drip paths.

Could be just over filled, could be worse, need more info.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic