TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

small body frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: small body frame
    Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 11:23am
Thought i could patch in a 2 foot section on the front frames. Got all the bad cut out then as usual theres more than meets the eye. The engine compartment side is full of pin holes. 
So my question is has anyone replaced the front frames ?  Im thinking 2.5'' square tubing from the floor angled part to the lower rad support. ?? 
Thoughts ?  ideas ?

Edited by mikesramblur - Jan/24/2021 at 11:55am
82 Spirit ..258 auto .. for now
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 11:50am
Since you're not looking at a concours resto, maybe look into modernizing the entire front suspension with something like this?

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
mikesramblur View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 11:54am
Id love to get that but the cost is not allowing this.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:01pm
 if your floors are good and engine compartment   side are good also i would look for a good frame rail from a donor car its defiantly cheaper   
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:07pm
i replaced the floors last couple years. Now moving on to the frame issue. Donor cars are not available here. Ive had an ad in the local classifieds off and on for the last 3 years.  I did come across an Eagle once but it was worse off. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:13pm
What are you working on?? Year & model.

Edited by scott - Jan/24/2021 at 12:19pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:17pm
A Spirit,Concord,Pacer are all the same for donors. Don't think an Eagle will work. I did a quick search and there are no donors that I see.
If you have not already done so, try contacting:
They are the biggest group of AMC people in Ontario and they will send out requests for parts from members.
mixed up is correct, a donor is the easiest and cheapest option. All you need is some grinding and welding skills.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:22pm
its a Spirit.
I use to belong to that club, a buddy is still a member, ill see if he can get anywhere.

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:50pm
Scroll thru this thread to the end. Some excellent work being done on repairing a rusty frame rail. Should be very similar to your Spirit. https://theamcforum.com/forum/the-eagle-has-landed-in-my-wallet_topic96557_page1.html

Scroll thru this long thread, you'll find a frame rail swap as part of the work being done. https://theamcforum.com/forum/70-amx-old-yeller_topic51639_page1.html

Hopefully these threads give you some ideas to aid in repairing your Spirit.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesramblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 1:13pm
thanks. some nice work there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic