TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

skinny tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skinny tires
    Posted: May/08/2021 at 1:33am
I'm trying to locate 26" tall tires to fit on the 15" x 4.5" rims on my 1960 American wagon so I can keep the dog dish caps. I want to avoid Coker (price and I'd prefer modern tire technology). I think this has become a fool's errand...

Given the poor choices I might have to ditch these wheels. They need dismounting, sandblasting, probably straightening, and for all that, I might as well by new wheels in another size. I definitely want a lot of rubber, so 70 series may be the way to go.

What have others done here? 

I will visit my local tire shop to ask, as I got tired of playing 'what if' with the TireRack site trying to guess what's available (it can't answer "what rim and widths come in 75 profile").
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 6:18am
My neighbor, for his Hupmobile's uses:
and there is:
I don't know if any are cheaper!
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 7:43am
Not sure what size/style you're looking for but try Diamond Back. https://dbtires.com/

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 12:55pm
Looking at a standard tire chart, looks like a 195/70R15 is going to be as close as you get. That's a 25.7" diameter, and the recommended rim is 5.0"-6.0" wide. You can likely "fudge" it onto your 4-1/2" wide rims. Here's where i got the data: tire_chart_2010.xls (etmags.com)

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 1:27pm
Have you looked at getting your rims widened? If you are needing sandblasting and straightening anyway, replacing the hoops might not be a big leap from there. The bonus is you get to keep your hubcaps and you can get tire store models which will likely be cheaper.than specialty or reproduction,

Another thing to look at if you're replacing the hoops is going up in tire diameter. 15" isn't very popular now. A 16 or 17 inch rim might give you better and cheaper choices of tire .
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 1:10am
OMG Lucas etc are expensive! One is close to my entire budget! lol. I'm looking for reliable daily drivers. There's some weird brand, Vehrenstein or something, that are moderate but then warn you to not put any air or load on them at 20F! OK I live in SoCal, but I do drive to Santa Fe NM occasionally, they have actual winter. Etc..

205/70-15 is the smallest I can buy from tire shops, that seems about it. Couldn't find any non-exotic 195/70 even. 

Yeah, 15" rims are not popular, even 14 is easier.

I happen to have 16 x 7's I just pulled off the roadster. I really wanted to retain the skinny/tall look, but practicality may win. The 16's are in fine shape, and the old the stock wheels are unrestored originals with rust and peeling brown paint. With so many small tasks I may just punt and fall back to what I got.

I also wanted a spare that fit in the trunk, but that's a dumb (or very expensive) fantasy. I was trying hint at it's early Nash-can roots but so much for that idea. Maybe later when I'm rich.

Thanks for the info -- I think it's an evolutionary dead end now.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 1:20am
Does 195-65R15 work? www.cip1.com has them and I think you can get them for $60-70 through Walmart. Nankang brand. These are modern radials, often used for old VW's, but should work for you. 

Chris 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 6:12am
A modern properly weight rated radial trailer tire will handle better then the old original bias ply tires. You just have 2 different systems of ratings. The side wall will be stiffer then the car tire but not as stiff as the original bias ply tire. It will handle close to original.
You want skinny look and a cheaper tire, for summer driving, a trailer tire fits that bill.
Your jurisdiction may not allow this, but here, if the weight rating is correct, they can be used. Trailer rims cannot!
Lots of 15" skinny radial trailer tires, even white and red wall. The tread pattern is even similar to the old bias ply's.
Check you DMV rules first.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 6:43am
Maybe Wade Kawasaki can help.Give him a call.
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 8:17am
Tom, look for a 165/80R15.  They are about 25.5 inches tall and easily fit your 4.5 inch wheel.  Use to sell a lot of these at the tire shop I worked at to guys for front drag tires and street rods.  Several brands are available, Nexen being one I remember.  Should fit the bill for what you need.

1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic