TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Single bbl carb replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single bbl carb replacement
    Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 2:03pm
Carter 7039s carb on a 75 Pacer …..I cannot stop it from dumping gas out of the bowl, 2 kits , 1 new float …….taken apart …checked float level numerous times and adjustments were made. No success.

Can I buy a new/reman anywhere?
Autozone and O Reilly and Napa say they cannot find one.

Thanks 
Rick
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 2:36pm
Not too long ago there were some NOS Carter Carbs on ebay listed in those auctions that run a long time...Try looking there...
Thankyou....Bob
Montanapacer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 4:35pm
Will do, thanks………I’m not really concerned with it being a ‘numbers matching’ original equipment at This point I just need to get it going so I can get it back into my garage. This is the start of winter here in Great Falls Montana, and I don’t wanna be stuck outside trying to replace a carburetor in two months when it’s -20.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 4:43pm
Stock mechanical fuel pump or electric?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 5:42pm
Thats a Carter YF/YFA type, right? They are not rare. There are various jettings, so save your old one time done.

Tell us more. Have you recently made other changes? New fuel pump? 

Was going to post a link to the Carter YFA new replacement available from Mike's Carburetors, but they dont' seem to list it. I enquired... you might too.

You'll need to swap the jets and metering rod from your old to be jetter right, and make a simple adapter for the throttle. But they're NEW manufacture carbs. I've had great luck with it.

Edited by tomj - Dec/09/2021 at 5:44pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:02pm
Mechanical 
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:08pm
So yeah, I bought a NAPA Carter new fuel pump, mechanical and thought maybe that was a problem. Replaced it with O’Reilly mechanical factory OEM reman and still have the same problem, dumps gas like you would not believe. Long story version, it did this to me with the original fuel pump, bought a rebuild kit and it worked good for a while. All I ever do is pull it out of the garage once in a while and put it back in after I’m finished working in that area. So it runs maybe 15 or 20 minutes Total until now. Last time I moved it had a big puddle of gas and it appears that the fuel pump was shot. R&R that, now it really looks like heck. I thought maybe I had too much fuel pressure so I returned the new Napa fuel pump, Got one from O’Reilly’s and it’s doing the same thing. By the way I did replace the float. I have adjusted it three times each time making it to where the float should engage a little sooner and stop the flow of fuel.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Thats a Carter YF/YFA type, right? They are not rare. There are various jettings, so save your old one time done.

Tell us more. Have you recently made other changes? New fuel pump? 

Was going to post a link to the Carter YFA new replacement available from Mike's Carburetors, but they dont' seem to list it. I enquired... you might too.

You'll need to swap the jets and metering rod from your old to be jetter right, and make a simple adapter for the throttle. But they're NEW manufacture carbs. I've had great luck with it.

I would love to hear about this…….. are you suggesting I get a hold of Mike’s carburetors and see if they have this carburetor? I will definitely save the old one. I looked around Mike’s carburetors website but did not see any way to contact them? Do you have a link or a phone number possibly? Thank you very much.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:23pm
did you change the fuel pump just recently?
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montanapacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 9:09pm
Yes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic