TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shoulder belt adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoulder belt adjustment
    Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 3:50pm
My 68 AMX was the first year of shoulder belts required later in the model year. My car has them and they are in good shape. But they flop around, even when held in the plastic clips behind the seats, and they are too long to use effectively. I am wondering if these had the old style spring retractors, like the lap belts? Even if they did not, it would not be hard to put them on and make them more useful to use.
DWR
1968 AMX

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 4:29pm
They did not have any kind of retractors. I'm surprised they are too long to use effectively. I think you could do one of those old, chrome, reel retractors and try that. Good luck!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tbenvie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbenvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 9:39pm
Too long? they can be adjusted to become shorter

Thomas M. Benvie
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2022 at 10:23pm
The more I think about it, if they are too long, I wonder if they are not AMX belts? Like Tom said, they can be adjusted....not a huge amount, but a few inches at least.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 3:25pm
I have the opposite problem on 68 AMX - barely long enough.  I have them adjusted pretty much as short as they will go.  Length ranges from around 42" to around 52" from the far end of the plastic cover to the far end of the chrome buckle.  Pretty sure they are original to the car as all the belts have the "coarse weave."  I use them regularly so didn't bother to install the holders at the rear kick-panel.
68 AMX 390 4SP
67 RS Camaro 327 Auto
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:18pm
Are the shoulder belts stored properly?  The belt should run down the edge if the door / quarter panel through the clip and almost to the floor.  Then fold back up toward the roof passing through the clip again and then fold over the top of the clip with the chrome loop facing the floor.

Edited by mmaher94087 - Aug/08/2022 at 7:20pm
Mike
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 3:51pm
Storing the belts is not an issue, but they are too long to wear even when fully shortened. They look like the original but most manufacturers used the same type of shoulder belt back in the day. I have ordered a pair of the old style retractors to tighten them it when I wear it. Shortening the belt by cutting and sewing is probably not a good idea.
DWR
1968 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic