TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Should of renewed my AAA membership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2023 at 5:27pm
Popping out of gear while driving usually indicates a bad synchronizer. Might be just that causing a misalignment inside the trans. Looks like you're in for a rebuild! Three speeds aren't that hard to rebuild, nor expensive as long as the shafts and gears are good. Usually just bearings and synchros, but if it's been run a long time with bad there could be excess wear on the gears. Got my fingers crossed for ya!
Frank Swygert
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 2:32pm
Thanks, picking up a spare 3spd freshly out of a Gremlin tomorrowi in Tennessee, also picking up another complete AMC to be named later.   Hate to miss the Great AMC day but I think it'll be worth it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 5:16pm
You can always go watch the others and talk to some good AMC people!!
Frank Swygert
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 2:32pm
Hated to miss GAD but we traveled to Tennessee and bought Lisa a 76 Hornet.  Super solid all original car and bonus, it's already orange! Proud to be a 2 AMC family. 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 1:50am
Misalignment will ruin parts every time.

Loose bell housing bolts that allowed the engine and transmission to gap apart cracked the flex plate and pounded out all the crankshaft main bearings on my 1977 Pontiac barely 6000 miles after it was rebuilt and restored. I was 1000 miles away from home on vacation when it happened. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 7:18pm
Cloudyday, is that a hatchback? I would like to take one and modify the grille to look like a 68-69 Javelin (or narrow a Javelin grille) and graft the "power blister" hood scoop from a 70 Javelin hood to a Hornet hatchback and put Javelin emblems on it. A "phantom" 75 Javelin! AMC could (should?) have done that. Either delayed the Hornet hatch a year or canceled the Javelin after 73 and presented the Hornet hatchback as a downsized Javelin. Offer it with only a 304 or 360 V8 and the different hood and grille alongside the hornet hb, or sell exclusively as a Javelin with a six as a base engine.  Obviously everyone would know it was a Hornet derivative, but with the different HB body it would have gone over well, I think. Better than the Mustang II did, which was obviously a derivative of the Pinto.

Too many good ideas, not enough time or money!!
Frank Swygert
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 6:19pm
Wow! You have really thought this through.  I told the wife I would like to graft some humps on the front fenders.  I said If we see even one hiccup in the 6cyl, it will be getting the 304 on the shelf.  Well there are anti foulers on number 2, 3 and 5 cylinders plugs.  Haven't seen those things since I had a wore out 350 v8 in high school with a 2qt a week oil habit.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 8:34pm
The humps on the front fenders wouldn't be bad, but a lot of work. Grille and hood not so much. Could just use an SC/360 hood scoop, just something to make it stand out a bit.
Frank Swygert
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2023 at 5:11pm
Finally shake, shutter and chutter free clutch pedal!   I bought an 11" LUK brand clutch kit from Summit and field dressed the flywheel with 180 on a duel action sander and its smooth as silk when releasing the clutch.   The USA made Aetna brand throw out bearing was coming apart and the new 10"  disk that Ky Clutch made me 600 miles ago was only wearing on the outer half.    Time will tell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic