TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Should of renewed my AAA membership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 8:01pm
It's fine, but it was on the input shaft when I pulled the tranny,  no longer pressed into the flywheel
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 10:36pm
"I've had a shutter.."  This is often caused by a flywheel that was not surfaced properly.  A wrong size throw-out bearing will make a chatter noise, but I'd put my money on a Chineesium part.  
Mike
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2023 at 9:38am
If you take your flywheel to Kentucky Clutch, they'll also machine your flywheel while grabbing your clutch parts. We used to deal with them all the time when I worked in dealership parts, and never had a parts quality problem.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 7:16am
If the pilot bushing came out that was the problem. If the input shaft and crank aren't nearly perfectly aligned it will cause the clutch center to tear out like that. I had that issue with a 4.0L block that had missing alignment dowels. I didn't notice. The bolts on the bell aren't good enough to align the clutch. After ripping the center out of two I took it to a shop and they noticed the missing dowels right away!! I should have...
Frank Swygert
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 2:45pm
Well craaaap, I just got everything back together last night,  only 4 bolts for attaching the bellhousing to the block. I'M guessing the two shallow holes in the 360's  block at 10 and 2 with no threads we're for alignment pins?   Looked at my original 304, it has 6 threaded holes for the  bellhousing  to bolt up to, and the bottom two have the hollow dowels still pressed in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.   Anyone else encountered  a late 70's 360 with only 4 threaded holes?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 3:33pm
You absolutely must have the dowel pins.  Otherwise you will have problems 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 4:45pm
Dowels are in the lower left and right larger bolt holes.
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 2:00pm
If I had a dime for every "inexpensive" part I bought that failed, I'd be rich.  To echo Mopar_guy....its almost impossible to get great quality items anymore.  I've bought so much "new" stuff to replace factory old items, just to have the new item fail within months (ignition switches, starters, relays..etc)  Clutches are the same way.  Even when you get a MacLeod or LUK (which used to be pretty reliable brands, they have overseas components built into them and they fail.  Best you can hope for now is to either find a 100% American made product, or at a minimum something with a warranty that's enforceable. 

Just sucks that we've done this to ourselves.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 9:32am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 8:48am
New clutch disc and pilot bushing installed, and pulled the alignment dowels out of my old 304 and pressed them into the 360, same flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing that all had 1,400 miles on them and looked good, you could still see the cut marks where they resurfaced the flywheel, the take off shake is possibly worse than before. Sounds like a dinner bell ringing.    It must be the T14 tranny,  BTW, the car would occasionally pop out of 3rd gear while driving since I first drove it, pre restoration.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic