TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Should of renewed my AAA membership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should of renewed my AAA membership
    Posted: May/20/2023 at 7:53pm
Caught a ride home on a rollback last night.  Thought the 3spd box  exploded but it was the clutch disc,  1,500 easy miles on all new package.   What caused this?
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 7:57pm
Right foot?
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 8:24pm
Cheap aftermarket parts is what I suspect.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 9:08pm
Unless it's my imagination, a few of those dampening say it was a heavy right foot or a slippery left one.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 9:27pm
I did something like that about 40 years ago when I attempted a speed shift from 3rd to 4th at 6,500 rpm in a 72 LT-1 Corvette and wound up in 2nd gear at about 95-100 mph. Tach only went to 7,000, so I have no idea how many rpm it hit. It felt like I dropped anchor when it went back to 2nd. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt the engine, but I heard clutch pieces flying everywhere. I am a big believer in the old solid lifter LT-1 engines.
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 9:41pm
I have been easy on both feet since assembly, I swear.. I've had a shutter when releasing the clutch from day one, thought it was because I went 2 inches taller on back tires trying to reduce highway rpm's.  One interesting note, the pilot bearing fell right out when I dropped the tranny, could the bushing have been floating about on the input shaft causing the take off shake and premature death to the disk?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 8:44am
What brand?
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 6:39pm
No name on it, just a symbol of a globe stamped on one side.  I got everything from Kentucky Clutch in Louisville, it's a cool place that only sells driveline parts, they usually know what your vehicle is when you set the old parts on the counter.   I really think the pilot bushing was popped out of the flywheel for months and allowing the imput shaft to run amuck.3
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 7:12pm
I can see it's a Chinese disc and has no quality in it. Many years ago I tested a bunch of those (at work) when they first started showing up here. I don't think the pilot bushing caused it. It didn't help the situation but it didn't cause it IMO.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 7:53pm
You have it apart. Is the bushing gone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic