TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

seat belts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by mark09 mark09 wrote:

Sorry to jump in on this thread but if shoulder belts were required 1-1-68.
 I wonder why/how my 69 AMX came with lap belts and round plugs/covers over the holes in the sail panels. I do wonder if there's mounts but haven't inspected further.

Might have been a dealer thing to placate a potential customer who didn’t like the shoulder belt, which was still a new concept, with most people used to just lap belts. Shoulder belts were mandatory for the manufacturers to provide by the feds, not for the end-user/customer to use. Click-it or ticket didn’t exist back then. I remember when I was a kid people buying new or used cars and best case tucking the seat belts away and worst case removing them or cutting them out. A very different time. 

Edited by sweatlock - Oct/21/2021 at 7:45pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 6:04pm
Well, this is the first car I ever heard of a car not having seat belts. It must have been a very different time back then.
I used to work at a private school, and Marty the coffee cart guy told me one day at lunch time, that way back then If you wanted a driver's license you just went to a garage and bot one.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Oct/22/2021 at 6:12pm
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

All the people I've talked to except the PO don't know anything about cars not having seat belts back in the day. I'm sure the cops won't know about it either.

LOL LOLLOL  LOL
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 10:39am
This thread hasn't had much action for a while and I STILL haven't done anything about figuring out how to install modern three-point seat belts into my 69 AMX.  As I stated in an earlier post the interior sail panels DO NOT have holes cut out where the OEM shoulder belts would have attached.

How much trouble is it to remove the interior sale panels?  What is the sequence of interior panels that must be removed before being able to remove the sail panels?  I am dreading doing this thinking I am going to end up breaking 50+ year old (expensive) plastic parts.

Alternatively, if your 69/70 AMX does have the shoulder belt in place where (exactly) is the shoulder belt anchor.  I'm thinking with the exact locational dimensions I might be able to cut a hole in the right place and expose the covered anchor point without needing to remove the sail panel.  I know, risky, but that is how much I don't want to remove all the interior plastic.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 11:13am
These look pretty custom - perhaps there’s some better photos to give you an idea. 

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2022 at 11:39am
Roadventure, are your sail panels plastic or cardboard?  The originals were cardboard and I believe that the replacements are pretty cheap as well.  Like you stated, I would be worried about removing the plastic trim.  I don't have the interior or glass in my car, so I can get you dimensions to the hole.  But I'm not sure what to start the measurements from.  Does your car have a coat hook or the clips in place for the seatbelt storage?

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Roadventure, are your sail panels plastic or cardboard?  The originals were cardboard and I believe that the replacements are pretty cheap as well.  Like you stated, I would be worried about removing the plastic trim.  I don't have the interior or glass in my car, so I can get you dimensions to the hole.  But I'm not sure what to start the measurements from.  Does your car have a coat hook or the clips in place for the seatbelt storage?

Mike

Mike,

The sail panels in my car are plastic and they seem to be pretty nice.  I am providing a photo of my interior with a reference point being where the welt trim at the window opening intersects the horizontal trim below the rear quarter window.  You said you don't have the trim or glass in your car so I am not sure how this would translate to where the sheet metal is underneath.  Anyway, here is a way that I thought meaningful dimensions could be provided.

There are no coat hooks or the shoulder strap stowage clip in place in my car so I can't use that as a benchmark for measuring.

You could also confirm my thinking that the shoulder belt anchor has internal threads, so the shoulder belt bolt can be inserted.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

dave

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

These look pretty custom - perhaps there’s some better photos to give you an idea. 

Thanks for the photo.  I did see that car, with the interior photos.  I would love for mine to look that "clean". 

I have also been thinking about a custom console, blending into a rear deck similar to what is shown in that car.

dave
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 12:34pm
Sorry it took me so long to reply.  It looks like the hole is for a 3/8" bolt, not too much room for error.  I don't have the interior trim in my car, so I couldn't use the same points that you pointed out.  I'm assuming that you could remove the windlace from the door opening and behind the door.  I used a level and ran tape from the edge of the roof pinch weld back toward the rear window.

Then I ran a vertical piece of tape thru the center of the hole down to the quarter panel area.  I measured the distance from the door opening to the edge of the tape.

Then I measured from the upper piece of tape to the center of the threaded hole.

If it was me, I would see if you can pull the window trim off that runs along the roof.  You can probably bend the sail panel out a little bit and find the hole based on these pics.  I'm not sure how much I would trust these measurements for finding a hole like this.

Good Luck,

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 1:58pm
Thanks Mike!  I greatly appreciate your help.  Due to some other things I want to do it looks like I need to remove the plastic side trim below the rear quarter windows and the trim piece below the rear glass.  I haven't done it yet because, short of removing the obvious screws, I don't know where to pull or how hard to pull without breaking anything.  I'll do it eventually.  Just need to build up the nerve.

THEN, I'm sure I will be able to access those shoulder belt anchor points.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic