TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SEALING HEADERS TO HEAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEALING HEADERS TO HEAD
    Posted: Sep/09/2020 at 8:22pm
One of my Jeep plow trucks has a 360 with headers.  The header flanges are not perfect where they meet the gasket to the cylinder head.  I use the good REMFLEX gaskets that are reasonably thick but still a few dark spots on the head from an exhaust leak  mostly between the middle 2 ports.

What is the best liquid sealer to use between the gasket and header to help seal this leak?  I guess the proper fix is to build up the weld bead but no time for that on this truck.

Suggestions?
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2020 at 8:39pm
I've had good look with the high temp silicon stuff they sell at the farm store for wood and pellet stove's. A little bead on both sides of the remflex seals them up pretty good.  
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2020 at 8:42pm
High temp silicone worked for me.
Prematex red
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2020 at 10:51pm
Permatex Ultra Black.  Works better than the copper/red for header gaskets.  Doesn't get hot enough to need the high temp stuff.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2020 at 11:46pm
Do you want to repair it once or have to do it over and over again? Any sealer will just be a Band Aid for the real problem and eventually your going to be dealing with replacing the head where it will burnout. I would double the gaskets and add some pieces of metal to make spreader bars to even the load out on the poor quality flanges the best you can. Or just put some iron manifolds on it and scrap the headers and the headaches.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 3:55am
Remflex gaskets have worked better for me than any silicon
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 7:19am
On my plow truck, I had to add weld to the header flange. The sealing surfaces didn't line up in a few spots, and the stress of plowing made them show up pretty quick..
Bruce in NW Ohio
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 10:14am
Use a belt sander on the flange and even them out.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 10:33am
find some stock manifolds,  on a plow truck the collectors will become the big problem. 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by RandyB RandyB wrote:

Use a belt sander on the flange and even them out.
The problem with them already is that the flanges are to thin. If they had flanges on them thick enough to use a belt sander on there wouldn't be an issue sealing.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic