TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"Sealed beam" headlamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Sealed beam" headlamps
    Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 11:33am
A headlamp on the '60 American went out last week, no big deal. They came with the car and it hadn't been driven is 10, 15 years before I got it. They were General Electric brand and I don't think they've made an auto lamp in many decades. So I go to O'Reilly's to replace, all they carry is scut brand Sylvania, I think the sole maker of filamentary lamps left in the US.

Sylvania has cheap replacements and something up-marketed as "better". Since I don't drive much at night, the car is slow, and I've never had a need for more light, I of course bought the cheap ones. Lol, there's text on the box that almost says outright 'you are a cheap fool to not buy our more expensive lamps'. And 'I bet you drive a Rambler'. OK it didn't say that last part but that's what they meant. There's even a little cartoon labeled LIGHT COLOR: and it shows a yellow colored triangle! lol. I resisted the ridicule.

Aha! Turns out even Sylvania doesn't make sealed beams any more! If you look inside you'll see it's actually a halogen bulb glued into the reflector! The color is BRIGHT WHITE, not the obvious yellow of old fashioned sealed beams. And the pattern is great.

14 bucks each.

Probably burn out soon because Sylvania.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 12:08pm
It is a sealed beam. Non serviceable be it halogen or incandescent..
worm611 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worm611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 1:09pm
Wagner still makes sealed beams if you are looking for something original looking.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 1:26pm
Yes, it is sealed and unrepairable. But the old style were a a pair of filaments in a big evacuated housing. This one is a small H4 type bulb glued into the glass. The end result is the same, but the method of construction novel, and the light is great.

I didn't know Wagner still made them. This is a daily driver so the better light is worth it. I'll see how long they last...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 1:47pm
The halogen replacements have been out since at least the later 70'.  Besides better light, they keep on going even with a cracked housing
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 6:49pm
Rock Auto has headlight bulbs for my 62  Classic , halogen bulbs, $7+ and $8+ each
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 7:47pm
The only problem with the halogen replacements is the heat they produce. You car headlight socket/wires besides being old plastic and more fragile is they never made for the heat a halogen bulb produces. Back in the day they used to sell short pigtails that could handle the heat as part of bulb conversion. May or may not be a problem, but something to keep an eye on.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2023 at 8:31pm
The lamps are in open air. Heat shouldn't be a problem unless it's created by a socket connection issue and not the halogen cycle. Ive been using H4 E code lamps since the 90's and no concerns that the sky will fall. How many of these old cars even produce 12 volts at a socket under load.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 8:05am
I=E/R - OHM's Law. Your point Heavy is well taken, but hitting the point wrong way in this instance.
The lamp resistance R is fixed by design. If voltage "E" for the vehicle remains constant then the current "I" remains constant.
If the voltage is lower, like you have stated, then the amperage goes up and the heat generated is higher also in anything that will not conduct the extra current.
How many vehicles classic have you seen with the headlight connector partially or even fully melted? If the number is less then a dozen, I'd be very surprised.
Alternator failure and driving at night with headlights on, the voltage drops enough running off the battery, the headlight connector will typically melt with conventional bulbs.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 8:36am
the halogen headlamp for the amc is only 35-40 watts.  the wiring for the headlamps is 16GA.  16ga can handle 10 amps. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic