TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

School me on suspension.. 72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me on suspension.. 72 Javelin
    Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 4:34pm
So Im looking at my car and I think it either my car has been lowered, or the suspension is sagging or just worn out. If I take a sharp turn up my driveway sometimes it'll bottom out because it sits so low. The car handles and drives fine. You can feel the bumps in the road, definitely doesn't feel like driving a modern car, but im not sure if its supposed to being a classic and all.

The leaf springs in the back look flat to my point of view, but i dont know that much about suspension so hence the title, school me on it.

Edit.. just measured my clearance and from the sub frame to the ground is 5.5 inches, seems low. Not sure what Factory spec is but I'm sure its in the TSM

Edited by Velociresler - Jan/28/2023 at 5:05pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 4:58pm
Springs that old often lose some of their tension.
A reputable suspension/alignment shop might be able to re-arc the springs.

Another option is install air shocks. Be fore warned, if there's too much weight in the back (trunk or back seat) and too much air in the shocks, one of the shocks can break out it's mount on top.
Staggered shocks, (one in front and one behind the axle) I can't remember for sure, but I believe it is the passenger side. I've had air shocks on the White70JavelinSST for about 50 years and no problem, but the car never gets overloaded and it never has much air in the shocks.

Another alternative is contact Eaton Detroit Spring
and get a new set of rear leaf springs. Eaton will have all the bushings and other parts for the replacement that you may need. Top quality stuff and been around a long time.

New shocks alone won't change it unless they are air shocks.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Feb/02/2023 at 2:37pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 5:01pm
Velociresler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 5:06pm
I've heard good things from Eaton and was just wondering if it would be easier and drop the cash for the new suspension... Replacing the leaf springs, shock absorbers and front coils.. 

Do you by chance know the ground clearance on your car off hand?
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 5:13pm
No, I don't know what the ground clearance is, right offhand, sorry.
Other than the suspension is at factory ride height. The rear is within a inch of factory when it has about 5 psi in the air shocks.
A 72 TSM might give you that information too.
Tire diameter will affect it as well.
The White70JavelinSST has 17 inch wheels and tires so it isn't the same as a car off the assembly line in 70. The tire diameter from front to rear is different as well.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 7:05pm
Both my humpsters rubbed front tires on the fenders when I bought them.  Moog 3112 is the replacement spring I used on one of them, and on the other I have recently switched to Ride-Tech coil-overs with Viking springs.  I can provide more details if you're interested in knowing about that option.  My rear leafs weren't much better, but at least nothing rubbed.  I've used cheap helper springs to raise the rear a bit until I can get new springs made.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/28/2023 at 7:08pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Both my humpsters rubbed front tires on the fenders when I bought them.  Moog 3112 is the replacement spring I used on one of them, and on the other I have recently switched to Ride-Tech coil-overs with Viking springs.  I can provide more details if you're interested in knowing about that option.

Yeah I'm interested, did you have to redo the full front end? My car rubs fenders too, but only in reverse but not going forward.. when I reverse I can only Turn the wheel half a revolution but I can go full travel when turning forward..

Edited by Velociresler - Jan/28/2023 at 7:15pm
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Velociresler Velociresler wrote:

Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Both my humpsters rubbed front tires on the fenders when I bought them.  Moog 3112 is the replacement spring I used on one of them, and on the other I have recently switched to Ride-Tech coil-overs with Viking springs.  I can provide more details if you're interested in knowing about that option.

Yeah I'm interested, which one did you like more? My car rubs fenders too, but only in reverse but not going forward.. when I reverse I can only Turn the wheel half a revolution but I can go full travel when turning forward..

The car with coil-overs is awaiting an engine rebuild at the moment and hasn't been on the road since I put them on the car, but forum members Mopar-Guy and DMack both have the same Ride-Tech coil-overs and seem to be very happy with them.  Check out this thread:

If you scroll down to the middle of page 5 of that thread, you'll see what Dave (DMack) did.  It's basically what I followed when I did mine.  It's pretty much a bolt-on mod except that you have to remove the T-bar from the existing spring perch and have a machine shop turn it down to 5/8" diameter.

The Moog 3112 work ok-- and that's a much cheaper option-- but they seem a tad stiffer than the factory springs to me even though Moog claims they're the same rate.  They made my car ride a little nose high, which is why I added helper springs to the rear.

I did redo the front end on both my cars.  At 50-years old, they both needed it.  Depends on the condition of your bushings and ball joints.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/28/2023 at 7:22pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 9:17pm
Definitely don't put air shocks on it. Re aching a spring is a waste of money IMO. Just replace them. You won't find any decent front springs and for what you'll pay for good ones, you might as well do the coilover conversion so you can adjust the ride height and rebound that you can't do with the stock setup.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Definitely don't put air shocks on it. Re aching a spring is a waste of money IMO. Just replace them. You won't find any decent front springs and for what you'll pay for good ones, you might as well do the coilover conversion so you can adjust the ride height and rebound that you can't do with the stock setup.

I'm thinking these for now on the front coils, LESJÖFORS 4101400. I can't find any of the aforementioned moogs. I'll look into the conversion a bit more..

And after talking to my dad/mechanic yeah I'm just gonna replace the leaf springs and put better shock absorbers on the back

Edited by Velociresler - Jan/28/2023 at 10:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic