TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scarebird disc brakes has closed shop -Alternative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Scarebird disc brakes has closed shop -Alternative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarebird disc brakes has closed shop -Alternative
    Posted: Mar/06/2023 at 5:17pm
Scarebird officially closed shop at the end of 2022. This is the message on their website:

"Due to latent supply constraints from Covid-19, we have decided to shut down operation effective end of 2022.  Items still listed are available - those not listed will not be replenished

Phone is not is use - please email us direct:

tech@scarebird.com

We sincerely appreciate your patience.  Website will revert to info only regarding kits previously sold in 2023."

As of the date of this message (March 6, 2023) the website hasn't changed to "info only" yet. Probably not until they sell out of existing inventory -- and they have sold out of AMC items.

Fear not! I have found another source for an inexpensive AMC disc brake kit!

TSM Mfg. Co, in Castle Rock, Colorado, is making kits for AMC cars and some others. The kit is similar to the first Scarebird design. They sell it only as a complete kit with brackets, rotors, calipers, pads, lines, and all hardware. They don't specify what component sources are, but they appear to be GM calipers and Ford Explorer rotors (they say 11.25", Explorer rotors I looked up state anywhere from 11.26-11.28"). TSM says they fit 15" disc brake style wheels... but I'm pretty sure AMC used the same wheels with drum and disc brakes. DO NOT fit 14" wheels. Suggested retail for the kit is $834 (but sell for less...), but you can't buy direct from TSM.

TSM lists two different internet suppliers, but only one lists the AMC brake kits: Rustic Disc Brakes (https://www.rusticdiscbrakes.com/product-page/1965-1983-amc-front-disc-brake-kit) . They have the kits priced at $650 plus shipping. That is about the cost of using the Scarebird brackets and getting the new parts from Rock Auto, so about the same cost as Scarebird.

TSM says to use your original hubs, presumably drum brake hubs (or Bendix four pistons hubs) even though they say the kit fits 65-83 (and will fit earlier AMCs also -- may need a little clearance grinding on the bracket, but only minor). Rustic has some more details:

Save your original hubs & bearings. Our rotor slips over your stock hubs.

When converting from drum to disk. You will need to cut and re-flair your existing hard brake line or bend new ones. These are not supplied. (Frank's note: I'm not sure this is really needed, unless they are using AN flare hoses instead of SAE -- AMC used the same fitting for drum and disc brakes)

If you have the spindle with a .890 base you will have to either machine it to .520 or get the .520 spindles.

Note the spindle base height! There may be another height, under .520 on cars with 2" drum brakes (usually 58-65 Americans -- most others used 2.5" wide drums). Of course if the spindle base is less than .520 it's easy to use Grade 8 washers as spacers to bring them up.

Frank Swygert
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2023 at 6:26pm
I used Crown Vic slip on rotors over drum brake hubs with stock AMC calipers. Works like a charm. That was something that someone came up with on another board that's long gone now. Way cheaper and better selection of rotors. Swap the studs for some with a shoulder to keep the rotor centered. It should be easy to make an adapter to use a GM caliper.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2023 at 11:45pm
I heard about this but what did you use for a caliper bracket to mount the caliper on?
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2023 at 5:05am
The stock caliper bracket. I remember that the caliper is not quite centered to the rotor and the way the guy fixed that was to grind some off the caliper bracket but I turned down the back of the spindle. It's not very much.

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2023 at 1:25pm
What size is the center hole in the brake backing plate for an AMC 20?

I have an idea cooking about making an adapter plate to mount Explorer rear discs to the AMC 20.

The backing plate mounting holes on the AMC 20 are horizontally 2.0" apart and vertically 3.3125" (3-5/16") apart.
IIRC, the Explorer backing plate mounting holes are horizontally 3.5625" (3-9/16") apart and vertically 2.0 inches apart. (Someone with an Explorer rear end check me on those measurements, please)

So with the correct center hole size, and by countersinking the bolt heads that bolt directly to the AMC 20 housing, it should be THEORETICALLY possible to make an adapter plate to mount Explorer rear discs to the AMC 20 housing. 

And parts availability should NEVER be a problem in our lifetime.

I call this "thinking INSIDE the box." The parts box.

Here's a VERY rough sketch for the adapter plate. Points marked A = AMC 20 mounting holes, points marked E = Explorer backing plate mounting holes. Perhaps the best approach might be to weld in carriage bolts, grind off the heads, and effectively end up with studs...4 facing the axle, and 4 facing the brake.

Again, just thinking INSIDE the box.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Mar/08/2023 at 2:26pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

What size is the center hole in the brake backing plate for an AMC 20?

I have an idea cooking about making an adapter plate to mount Explorer rear discs to the AMC 20.

The backing plate mounting holes on the AMC 20 are horizontally 2.0" apart and vertically 3.3125" (3-5/16") apart.
IIRC, the Explorer backing plate mounting holes are horizontally 3.5625" (3-9/16") apart and vertically 2.0 inches apart. (Someone with an Explorer rear end check me on those measurements, please)

So with the correct center hole size, and by countersinking the bolt heads that bolt directly to the AMC 20 housing, it should be THEORETICALLY possible to make an adapter plate to mount Explorer rear discs to the AMC 20 housing. 

And parts availability should NEVER be a problem in our lifetime.

I call this "thinking INSIDE the box." The parts box.

Here's a VERY rough sketch for the adapter plate. Points marked A = AMC 20 mounting holes, points marked E = Explorer backing plate mounting holes. Perhaps the best approach might be to weld in carriage bolts, grind off the heads, and effectively end up with studs...4 facing the axle, and 4 facing the brake.

Again, just thinking INSIDE the box.

If you combine this with conversion to Dr. Diff 1-piece axles, you can "theoretically" set your axle-flange-to-housing clearance to just what you need to make the conversion a success.

Did the room suddenly get quiet, or is it just me?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 9:19am
We were talking about front disc conversion and you're talking about rear disc conversion.

snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 6:58pm

I might have something coming out 4 piston caliper, 12.5" rotor, and newer hub.

1969 AMX (work in progress)
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 5:14am
Is anyone in the aftermarket producing replacement drum brake front hubs?

I want to experiment with Jeep Cherokee 4x4 rotors [Raybestos 780444R or equivalent] and see if I can fabricate a front disc setup that's widely available, cheap, and reliable.

The supply of drum brake front hubs seems to be drying up in my area.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 6:45am
What Scarebird was doing was getting old rotors and turning the rotors off. I'm not sure if they were removing the studs and facing them or the thickness in the hub area (front to back) was the same as a drum brake hub. If you bought an AMC hub from them that's what you got - a disc brake rotor without the rotor part. Since all AMCs as of about 1972 came with front disc brakes, I can see where drum hubs would be getting scarce. Rotors are scarce for some models (like 76-78 big bearing type), and will be getting scarcer. 2WD XJ Cherokees (and MJ Comanche) use a one piece hub/rotor like AMC cars... don't know the dimensions of the stub axle, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same as 79-83 AMC cars. Might be why that rotor is still reasonably priced and easy to find...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic