TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?
    Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 8:11pm
Y'all,

My ongoing quest to replace a bent hub/flange on the AMC 20 in my '79 Spirit looks to be ending up with one-piece axles using tapered bearings.

The issue is how it's gotten to here and what I'm now being quoted on a price of Moser one-piece axles.  I thought my issue was finally solved after months of looking when a supplier claimed to have an appropriate axle and hub, which I paid for with a money order (fool me once).  Turns out, the supplier didn't have what he claimed.  When I demanded my money back, he offered to get me a set of one-piece axles from Moser "for just a bit more than what you've already paid me," which seemed reasonable, so I agreed, given that the Moser ones for Jeeps run $345.

Well, now he's asked for more money, so much in fact that the total would be twice what the Moser Jeep axles run.  He also asked that I send the money via PayPal "friends and family," which I said I would not do.

So, what's a reasonable price to pay for Moser AMC 20 one-piece axles for a car?  I'm not interested in naming the supplier at this point, but I will out them publicly if this is not taken care of to my satisfaction.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

NOTE 1:  I do not want axles with ball bearings because I autocross, so the Dr. Diff axles to fit unmodified AMC 20 housings aren't an option.
NOTE 2:  I have already shipped the axles to Moser and they've received them.
1BadJav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1BadJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 8:33pm
Who is the vendor?  How much is he asking for total?  That scenario is pretty screwed up for anyone that values their reputation.

I paid $380 for my Moser, for my Javelin,  axles a few years ago. 

Edited by 1BadJav - Sep/14/2021 at 8:36pm
72 AMC Javelin SST - 401/727
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 1BadJav 1BadJav wrote:

Who is the vendor?

I'm not ready to out him yet.  I want to give him a chance to un-screw the situation, and if he doesn't then I'll absolutely let folks know.  I was pretty steamed when I heard how much more he wanted, so much so that I quit working on another car I've been thrashing on to get to a show that's out of state this weekend (I didn't want to make any mistakes or do anything unsafe because I was distracted).

How much is he asking for total?

$700.

That scenario is pretty screwed up for anyone that values their reputation.

Agreed!

Edited by Scrappy - Sep/14/2021 at 9:09pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 9:23pm
I have a pair of AMC20 axles and hubs, out of a 1977 HOrnet wagon. I think you asked a while ago, and I said I'd take measurements and did not. Overall length and something about hub thickness.

I have the parts out and if you need them, I will go out and take measurements tonight. You can have them for the cost of shipping.

(I wrote on them AMC15 but they are not.)

Edited by tomj - Sep/14/2021 at 9:25pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1BadJav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1BadJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Scrappy Scrappy wrote:

Who is the vendor?

I'm not ready to out him yet.  I want to give him a chance to un-screw the situation, and if he doesn't then I'll absolutely let folks know.  I was pretty steamed when I heard how much more he wanted, so much so that I quit working on another car I've been thrashing on to get to a show that's out of state this weekend (I didn't want to make any mistakes or do anything unsafe because I was distracted).

How much is he asking for total?

$700.

That scenario is pretty screwed up for anyone that values their reputation.

Agreed!

$700??????!!!!  That is way, way, out of line
72 AMC Javelin SST - 401/727
ScreamerX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScreamerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 12:09am
Agree.  Way out of line.  I believe I got 1-piece axles from Dr. Diff last year for under $300.  

Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I have a pair of AMC20 axles and hubs, out of a 1977 HOrnet wagon. I think you asked a while ago, and I said I'd take measurements and did not. Overall length and something about hub thickness.

I have the parts out and if you need them, I will go out and take measurements tonight. You can have them for the cost of shipping.

That's incredibly generous, Tom -- thanks!  I will certainly let you know one way or another!
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 10:31am
the cost of everything is going up, but not doubling. 
call moser and ask them directly. he's likely adding more to cover a tidy profit for himself?
get all your $$ back and deal with moser directly
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by ScreamerX ScreamerX wrote:

Agree.  Way out of line.  I believe I got 1-piece axles from Dr. Diff last year for under $300.  

x2

http://www.doctordiff.com/amc-1-piece-passenger-car-axle-pkg.html

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 12:28pm
not comparable to dr diff as he will not be using dr diff for the auto cross circuits
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic