TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ruined my Radiator and Fan today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 3:36pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 3:39pm
Best fan setup so far is the twin Ford Contour fans with shroud. Fits an AMC radiator near perfect! Replacement sets are relatively cheap compared to high quality aftermarket (like Derale) and they are every bit as good... so far. V6 Contours are still in junk yards, but starting to get scarce. Use the Derale controller though... or a Volvo one sourced from a junk yard. All that info is in the Contour Electric Fan thread in electrical.
Frank Swygert
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 4:26pm
Here's the Contour fans new for less than $100. https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Conditioning-Cooling-Contour-Mystique/dp/B077JF4ZX7/ There's several write ups with pictures on how to mount it.

This is the controller I recommend. It's not cheap, about $185 but after you have one, you'll never go back to a relay setup. Very easy to hookup and you don't need to change your alternator because it doesn't hit your electrical system like regular relays do. https://www.northernradiator.com/Product/Z18350 You can search the part number and usually find it on eBay or someplace that sells them. Dmack finally put one on his car after with problems with other fans and he loves it. 

It will also keep the engine temperature very steady compared to most others because the sensor goes at the lower radiator inlet instead of the outlet. I have several friends using these and not of of them thought it wasn't worth the money after using it.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 9:36pm
Thanks guys.  I have a lot of reading to do.

6t8amxetc: Have bookmarked that site.

farna: I have a Contour/Mystique fan and shroud setup (I'll stop calling it Concours).  Good to hear the Derale controller can be used, that way my $400 Derale setup is not a total loss.

Mopar_guy: Thanks again.  I checked Amazon, those controllers are now $203, but an option, and nicely compact.

So its off to tearing it apart, visiting the radiator shops (they have one down hear that claims to be "the best place to take a leak," cute.), and going back through potential aftermarket radiators.
Bill O.
70 AMX
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 1:29pm
I've never had a problem with relays, but you do have to have room to mount them. I'm running two cheap probe type controllers with one set to come on about 185 and the other about 195 -- one for each fan (about $20-25 on Amazon... link too long!). The low fan also comes on when the AC is turned on and runs all the time (well, as long as AC is on). Engine usually runs about 180 without AC on, 195-205 with AC depending on outside temp. I use a 195 thermostat, so that's about right. I'm actually surprised it runs about 180 on most days instead of closer to the thermostat temp. Oh, it's a hopped up 4.0L six with a three core radiator and the Contour fans. I've considered upgrading to a better controller, but these have worked fine for years. I originally had a single Ford Taurus two speed fan on one of them that had run for about 14 years, added a second when I installed the Contour fans 5-6 years ago, so reliability hasn't been an issue. If one goes out I can always jumper one fan to run all the time and move the wiring to the second fan and adjust the temp as needed.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2023 at 10:18pm
Pulled the radiator and fan out today.  Had to cut off the end of one of the fan blades.  If any good comes out of this its that it looks like the Contour fan will fit between the serpentine system and the radiator.  Here's some pics.  The cut blade is pointing towards 10 o'clock.

Bill O.
70 AMX
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 9:05am
Bill, by "flipping" I was referring to how the rear u-joint is oriented to the yoke. I normally mark them whenever I do driveshaft work to make sure I put them back together the way they were so u-joint-to-yoke orientation doesn't change. Easy enough to just loosen the u-bolts and flip the driveshaft 180 to see if it makes a difference. It's also good to double check that you have the u-joints fully and evenly seated into the yoke before you tighten the u-bolts. It's possible that a bearing cup on the u-joint got distorted if they were previously tightened before the u-joint was properly seated. 

Edited by CamJam - Jan/29/2023 at 9:07am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 10:29pm
CamJam, I just had the rear u-joint replaced and the driveshaft checked for balance, but when I get it running again, if I still have what seems to be driveline vibration, I will flip the drive shaft.  Thanks for the input.
Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 9:29pm
Has anyone successfully installed a Cold Case #AMC100A radiator in their AMX or Javelin? 
I was ready to order one until I reviewed past posts where it was revealed they are 3" thick vs 2.5".  I'm worried that the extra 1/2" might move it closer to the engine and eliminate the space I believe I have for the Contour fans, and yes, its that tight.  And if the extra 1/2" is towards the front then the panel that fills the space between the radiator and frame will not fit.  Suppose I could have one fabbed.
On a relatively humorous side, I tried checking with radiator shops around me.  The one I used back in '05 doesn't do radiators any more but they're still named The Radiator Shop.  The next one I contacted said the guy who does their work is out on sick leave, until March, but I do hope he recovers.  The final place quoted me $550.
Bill O.
70 AMX
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 5:46pm
Next close shop to you I know of is in Brandon.
I have a Champion aluminum in my American. I know for a fact that it fits all Americans and Concords

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic