TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Basic AMC V8 Rebuild by SC397

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 8:21pm
Intake Manifold Installation:
This one is a pure stock engine so we will be using the original intake manifold.
I wonder what lurks under that PCV valve baffle...
IMG_4873 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
I end up just chiseling the rivets off to remove baffle and it is a good I did.  I wouldn't want this crud getting to my engine.
IMG_4874 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
I took this one in to the machine shop to get hot tanked and bead blasted.
Then I drilled new rivet holes as close o the original ones as possible.
IMG_4952 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
I get the rivets from McMaster Car.
IMG_4954 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
Before I install the thermostat I test it first on the stove then I drill a 1/8" hole in it to help burp the air out.
IMG_4958 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
I always use a steel valley pan gasket with rubber end seals.
I coat all the steel gasket surfaces making sure that there is good coverage at the coolant ports. 

Edited by SC397 - Jul/30/2021 at 9:13pm
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 9:00pm
Paint & Body:
Normally I like to paint them upside down first then flip them over and give them another coat right side up. 
This one is a pure stock engine so I have to paint it with the intake manifold and rocker arm covers installed.  
Here is a little trick for sandblasting bolts and washers.  I tapped holes in a nylon bar to hold them.
IMG_4964 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
IMG_4965 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
The alternator bracket gets painted engine color too but I panted them separate.
IMG_4970 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Here is the list of engine paint colors.

Edited by SC397 - Jul/30/2021 at 9:48pm
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 9:09pm
Priming the Oil Pump:
I have a tool made out of a distributor shaft to prime the oil pump.
If I am building a engine that will be getting an aluminum intake manifold I prime the pump before I install the intake manifold like the one pictured.
Don't forget to plug the oil sending unit port.
Basically I spin the drill until I see oil at some of the rocker arms.
Then I rotate the crank at 1/4 turn increments and run the drill untill I get oil pressure at each rocker arm. 
(Pictured is NOT the Rozwell 343 engine)

Edited by SC397 - Aug/03/2021 at 7:26am
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 9:41pm
Starting Procedure:
When I install the flex plate or flywheel I mark the position so it will be easier for the customer to install.
The engines from 1966 to 1971 are nice because the pilot bushing is the same weather it is a automatic or stick shift car.  
The pilot bushing should stick out of the crank 1/8"
All flex plates should be installed with the reinforcing ring.
 IMG_4972 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Once I have the engine mounted in my starting stand I fill the radiator with water for the first couple of brake in runs to help clean the block out. 
I install fuel pump, fuel lines, carb, plug wires but leave the spark plugs out.
I stet the timing at 10 degrees advanced by running the starter and turning the engine over.
By the time I have the timing set I have oil pressure registered on the gauge.  
If I don't have oil pressure I run the starter until I do.
I give it check over for gas or any other kind of leaks then install the spark plugs.
Once it is up and running I crank it up to about 2500 rpm and run it until it reaches 200 degrees.
Then I cool it down, drain the water and put clean water in and run it again.
I repeat with water until it doesn't come out brown then I replace the water with Antifreeze and rust preventer.
Once the engine is broke in I re-torque the head bolts and put the pretty rocker arm covers on.
Here are a couple of videos of it running.
IMG_5005 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

IMG_5011 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Jul/30/2021 at 9:43pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 10:24pm
Back at it, still swingin' there SC397 Beer
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 8:57am
A lot of excellent info here, thank you 

I'm taking notes!  

Edited by sweatlock - Jul/31/2021 at 9:59am
Rozwell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 6:46pm
Nice work and great pictures. Excellent tip on removing the heat shield. What type of sealer do you use on the steel intake gasket and do you use sealer around the head ports also?
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 7:02pm
SC397
Thank-you very much that was a lot of work posting that info.
Larry
SC Rambler
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 6:22am
I'm most impressed by the priming drill.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Rozwell Rozwell wrote:

Nice work and great pictures. Excellent tip on removing the heat shield. What type of sealer do you use on the steel intake gasket and do you use sealer around the head ports also?
I just use normal gray or black RTV sealer. If I feel frisky and I have some, I put high temp RTV at the exhaust heat cross over.  I will post up some pictures in that thread when I do another one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic