TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Basic AMC V8 Rebuild by SC397

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 5:12pm
Timing Cover install:
First I  press the vibration Damper seal in place with a arbor press.
Then I round up replace or clean all of the water pump bolts and timing cover bolts to make sure that they are the right length.  
I coat both sides of the water pump gasket with RTV and install the water pump to the timing cover with the bolts just snug.
IMG_4623 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Then I coat the engine side of the timing cover gasket and stick it to the engine.  
I put a coat of RTV on the timing cover and install it with the bolts snug but not fully tight.
IMG_4624 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
IMG_4625 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

After I install the timing cover, I roll the engine over and trim the excess gasket material.
IMG_4626 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

24 hours later or so, I finish tightening the water pump and Timing Cover bolts.

Now is a good time to install the rear cam bearing core plug.  
I coat the outside edge of the core plug with RTV before I drive it in.  
I had a driver machined to fit the inside of the core plug and I have to cut a "V" in all of my engine stands so that I can get the driver in there and straight.  
I probably should have mentioned this part before we even started the tear-down process.
IMG_4944 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Jul/15/2021 at 7:47am
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 6:50am
Oil Pick-Up Screen and Oil Pan install:
I took the oil Pan as well as the intake manifold in to the machine shop to be hot tanked.
I had to do some body work on this oil pan so I bumped the dents out the best I could and filled the pits and imperfections with JB Weld.  Sanded it down and sprayed some zinc primer on it.
 IMG_4919 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

My method for installing the oil pick up screen button is to use a 1/4"-20 x 3/8" bolt and nut with Loc Tite on the threads.
 IMG_1237 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
IMG_1238 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I put a little RTV on the threads and install the pick up screen in the block. When it is tight, I usually have to go around one more turn.  I like to test fit the oil pan without a gasket. If the pan doesn't fit tight to the block without a gasket, I tighten the oil pick up screen until it doesn't hold the pan up.
IMG_0113 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

After the oil pick up screen is install the oil pan with both sides of the side rail coated with RTV.  I coat the outside edge of the rubber end seals with RTV as well.  I install the oil pan with the bolts just snug.  I go back 24 hours or so later and tighten the bolts.

Edited by SC397 - Jul/14/2021 at 12:59pm
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 12:48pm
Oil Pump Install:
There is only one manufacture for AMC V8 oil pumps and it is Melling (K85). Melling sells the K85 oil pump to other suppliers to be re-boxed with different part numbers. 
So I buy the ones who will sell them to me at the least cost.
To help lubricate the shaft I drill a 1/8" hole in the driven gear. It might be overkill but I have seen one shaft that was wore to the point of causing a bind.
IMG_4939 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
This particular oil pump cover is a after market one having no part numbers or date code marked on it.
I will re-surface it by hand using a series of finer grit sand paper mounted to a flat steel surface.
The first grit is 80 to get it down to 90% cleaned up with the oil pump witness marks.
IMG_4940 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
The second grit is 150.
IMG_4941 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
The third grit is 320.  At this point the oil pump witness marks are gone and the finish is pretty close to the original factory finish.
IMG_4942 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
And finally I hand lap it on oiled 500 grit.
IMG_4943 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Once the oil pump cover is ready I pack the oil pump housing full of Petroleum Jelly then put the gears in and clean all of the excess off of the gasket surface.
IMG_1044 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I spray both sides of the gasket with Copper Coat before installing the oil pump cover.
IMG_4176 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

As a matter of interest, cryco changed the oil filter adapter fitting in 1990 for the Grand Wagoneer to a metric size which is really close to the SAE size. 
1966-1989 on the left, 1990-1991 on the right
IMG_3919 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
If you don't know any better, the early filter will thread right on to the metric thread and and will be snug until you crank the engine up to about 2500 rpm to break the cam in. 
Then, the filter will blow off like a shot gun and spew about a gallon of oil all over your shop before you realize it and can shut the engine off. 
Ask me how I know..

Here are the 3 types of oil filters that I use.
IMG_4331 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
B9 is the full quart size for the V8 that fits the full size Jeeps and AMC cars 1966-1989
B39 is the shorter one that fits all V8 Jeeps and small AMC cars 1966-1989.
B141 fits the V8 with the metric thread 1990-1991
They all have the anti-drain back feature in them.

Edited by SC397 - Aug/09/2021 at 6:59pm
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 8:04am
Cylinder Heads Install:
Chase all of the threaded holes with a Tap even the Spark Plug holes.
Clean all surfaces.
Spray each side of the Head Gasket with Copper Coat.  I like Fel Pro brand head gaskets.
I apply a very small amount of ARP thread lube to the threads and under the hex head.
Torque head bolts in sequence per the TSM with one exception.  
I have never had a issue with cracking heads at the corners but I have changed my sequence to the attached.  
I actually tighten the two bottom corners that have the locating dowels first via speed wrench and hand tight.  
I torque them in 5 iterations the first one being hand tight with a speed wrench then 50#/ft, 70#/ft. 85#/ft, 95#/ft for the flanged 7/16" bolts. 
The final torque is at the nominal of the spec.  After the engine is broke in, I retorque the head bolts.

The TSM tells you to install one of the head bolts with RTV.  This is in case one of the head bolt holes is tapped through into the water jacket.  
I have only seen 1966 and a couple but not all 1967 engines that have this condition.  
It is best to stick a screwdriver down the hole to make sure but I do not coat the bolt with RTV unless it goes into the water jacket.
 IMG_4962 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

It is worth noting that the torque depends on the style of head bolt.
1966 & 1967 Non-Flanged Head Bolt Torque Spec. 72-77 #/ft. (7/16" Head Bolts) 
IMG_2335 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

1968 & 1969 Head Bolt Torque Spec. 90-100 #/ft. (7/16" Flanged Head Bolts)
My assumption is that when the 390 came out in 1968 they changed the head bolts for all of the V8 engines to the flanged type and bumped up the torque.
IMG_2337 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

This picture shows the two different styles of 7/16" Head Bolts.  
The machined down version of the oil pump plunger came out of a very early 1966 290.
IMG_1755 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Any AMC V8 built in 1970 and later all used 1/2" Flanged Head bolts.
Those all get torqued to  105-115 #/lb.

Edited by SC397 - Jul/27/2021 at 1:38pm
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 8:27am
I've seen other threads to revise the head bolt torque sequence because of concerns with the bottom 'corner' of the head cracking due to the sharp inside corner near the head bolt.  You continue to have good luck using the TSM sequence?

Thanks for the good info and great details.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 9:03am
PM sent
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I've seen other threads to revise the head bolt torque sequence because of concerns with the bottom 'corner' of the head cracking due to the sharp inside corner near the head bolt.  You continue to have good luck using the TSM sequence?

Thanks for the good info and great details.

Mike
Thanks for asking the question.  I added more info to the post.
I have never had a problem with torquing per the TSM but I have changed in the last couple of years just because I thought that I should. 
I also used to torque to the max of the specification but now I go to the nominal and then re-torque after the engine is broke in. Sometimes it takes up to 30 degrees to achieve torque after brake in believe it or not.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 3:20pm
That's an interesting detail on the filter adapter. Do you know if it's the same with the 4.0? I used one of those to convert to the FL-1A. So far it's held for me.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

That's an interesting detail on the filter adapter. Do you know if it's the same with the 4.0? I used one of those to convert to the FL-1A. So far it's held for me.

According to the usage yes, it is the same as the 4L and has a M20 x 1.5 thread.  The same filter is used on the AMC 4L engines and the 1990-1991 6L AMC engine.
According to the info that I could find the FL-1A has a 3/4"-16 thread.
My luck wasn't as good as yours.

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2021 at 6:40pm
I agree with the revised torque sequence- tighten the outside lower corners last.  

The head bolt torque was revised in 1968 due to head gasket failures.  And they also revised the head gasket.  The revised torque is above the recommended 7/16 UNC grade 8 torque, so this is why the bolts break.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic