TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rough Idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUG SLOCUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 10:28am
BDCVG I will check for any right side smoking.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 11:04am
  With your performer intake, I would assume that the plenum is fully divided so that one side of the plenum feeds half of the engine.  I would also assume that cylinder 6 runs off of the other side of the carb than cylinder 8.  If these assumptions are true (and I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like on the edelbrock website), then i doubt the carb is the issue.  One primary barrel would feed cylinder 6 and the other one would feed cylinder 8.  So you would need to adjust both sides of the carb when tuning the idle.
  Did you confirm that all the intake bolts are tight?

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 4:56pm
That happened to me with an Eddy carb. I noted the adjustment of the mixture screws then removed them. I took a blow gun and blew compressed air into the holes where the screws were. Then I put the screws back in adjusted to where they were before. Problem solved. My brother told me. I thought it was stupid. I tried it and it worked. It wasn’t so stupid.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/21/2021 at 4:58pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
DOUG SLOCUM View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUG SLOCUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 5:32pm
mbwicz I agree with your info about which runner is feeding the cylinders in question, but with the idle my first thought was carbueration. All intake bolts are tight.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUG SLOCUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 5:36pm
6768rogues I did that very thing 15 minutes ago. I used carb cleaner not compressed air. I could see the spray coming up through the carb intake. Idle is a little better but still rough. I may have two separate issues going on, the idle, and the 2 carboned plugs. It's a head scratcher.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 8:08pm
Don't waste any more of your expensive time guessing; buy a Chiltons Repair Manual for about $15 and follow the steps in the troubleshooting section.

(compare your time spent already to solving your problem to cost of very well written AMC repair manual?)

My first thought was rotten head gasket between 6 & 8.

That's the 'dead give away clue'

Compression test and compare all 8 cylinders.

In time, even the expensive hardback Chiltons for 68-71 AMX & Javelin will easily pay for itself.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 9:12pm
Bad plug wires?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUG SLOCUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:05am
amcenthusiast Thank you for that tip. I also thought possible blown head gasket between #6 and #8. Compression test showed equal pressure across both heads.

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUG SLOCUM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:07am
73hornut New plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as new fuel pump. Test shows equal spark across all cylinders.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:49am
Silly question:  Any chance that the plug wires for 6 and 8 got reversed?  Based on your original post I wouldn't think so, but I have to ask.....

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic