TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rotating flywheel against TC for balance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotating flywheel against TC for balance
    Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 8:17am
Hello guys:

I have a '67 Ambo 290/T35, my dad replaced the flywheel when I was in high school (back in '86!) and the engine was never as smooth after that. Before the work the engine revved incredibly smoothly, now it has more vibrations at different rev ranges. I've changed out the harmonic balancer, which looked bad, but made no difference. I figured I'd have to take the transmission out, take the flywheel off and have it balanced somewhere (it was from a salvaged car, I don't know what model it came from, but it's been in there since 1986). But a friend of mine said to try something else first: unbolt the flywheel from the torque convertor, and rotate the flywheel to the next position where the holes line up, rebolt it and try it again. Keep going and at one of the positions it'll solve the problem. Now: he's done this on Chevys, not AMCs but it seems to make sense, and he said any time he had a balance problem like this it would fix it. Have any of you done this?

CN

Edited by cnagorka - Nov/11/2021 at 8:19am
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 8:30am
The bolt pattern will only allow the flywheel to bolt up in one position.  I think it would be good idea to drop the flywheel and see if you have the correct one.  Even today AMC flywheels seem to be a source of confusion for many (including me).
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:33am
I think that the 290 does not have a counterweight on the engine side of the flywheel.  I'm not sure if you can see the back side of the flywheel when its on the car, but if there is a cube of iron cast in near the starter ring, you have the wrong flywheel for the 290.  343 and 390 have the counterweight.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I think that the 290 does not have a counterweight on the engine side of the flywheel.  I'm not sure if you can see the back side of the flywheel when its on the car, but if there is a cube of iron cast in near the starter ring, you have the wrong flywheel for the 290.  343 and 390 have the counterweight.  Mike  

The OP is using confusing terminology. He says he has a torque converter, therefore he has a flexplate, not a flywheel.

And 343 flywheels have no counterweight on the backside. 
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:50am
Flexplate is correct, I've heard the terms used interchangeably so I'll call it a flexplate from now on. And I'll check for the weight to determine if it's the right one for the car.
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:55am

And 343 flywheels have no counterweight on the backside. 
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.  I read that the 360 had one so I figured the 343 did.  Learning every day!

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by cnagorka cnagorka wrote:

Flexplate is correct, I've heard the terms used interchangeably so I'll call it a flexplate from now on. And I'll check for the weight to determine if it's the right one for the car.

Up near the top of this section of the forum is a sticky post titled "Flex Plate ID". Compare the photos there to what you have installed in your car,
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2021 at 2:02pm
Shall do!
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 11:58am
So as it turns out, when you have a transmission mount in three pieces, and the transmission housing is resting on the cross member, it'll fool you in to thinking something in the engine is out of balance...new mount=smooth as butter= no need to do anything with the flexplate Smile
Thanks for the responses. Here's what came out of the car:

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by cnagorka cnagorka wrote:

So as it turns out, when you have a transmission mount in three pieces, and the transmission housing is resting on the cross member, it'll fool you in to thinking something in the engine is out of balance...new mount=smooth as butter= no need to do anything with the flexplate Smile
Thanks for the responses. Here's what came out of the car:

Sometimes the solution is not obvious!  Congratulations on finding it.  I am curious, what led you to the rear mount?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic