TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Roofing Ice and Water Shield Soundproofing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2023 at 8:18am
I am a believer in Dynamat and Boom Mat.
Thuds and thunk sounds occur under 500 HZ.  Butyl product stops the low HZ wave from propagating. Dense matting material like jute boom mat provides sound muffling.

I would not skimp on Home Depot remedies if I am going to all of that work.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2023 at 9:08am
I used sound deadened pads from Amazon, they offer many low cost options. That took the tinny drumming out of the panels. Then I installed quiet mufflers and quiet tires. The theory is that if it makes less noise I hear less noise. My only issue is wind noise, which will always be a problem in an old car.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2023 at 8:55am

What works for me is to first use small squares of Dynamat or other butyl mat products-- usually no larger than a floor tile-- on any hollow-sounding panels, then cover everything (mat included) with Lizard Skin Sound Control, which you spray on with a gun. The mat dampens the low frequency panel vibrations and the Lizard Skin attenuates the higher frequencies. Lizard Skin dries to a tough coating, with a texture similar to undercoating, and can be top coated with paint if you wish.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2023 at 9:19am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

What works for me is to first use small squares of Dynamat or other butyl mat products-- usually no larger than a floor tile-- on any hollow-sounding panels, then cover everything (mat included) with Lizard Skin Sound Control, which you spray on with a gun. The mat dampens the low frequency panel vibrations and the Lizard Skin attenuates the higher frequencies. Lizard Skin dries to a tough coating, with a texture similar to undercoating, and can be top coated with paint if you wish.
Enough lizard skin to cover the inside of a car isn't that easy to find for most of us. We don't live in the desert like you and can walk outside and find lizards.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Mar/10/2023 at 11:23am
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2023 at 11:01am
Update

I used the ice and water shield, so to answer some of the concerns it wont stick inside the doors? Yes it sticks just fine the area of factory sound deadening is much smaller than the actual door panel inside so plenty of room all the around also, I doubt Dynomat would stick any better. It will smell like tar? Ice and water shield has a thin plastic layer on the top side the same a Dynomat no smell when applying ice and water shield not even a concern. More interesting facts Dynomat is available in two thicknesses .045" and .067", ice and water shield measured about .040" so I put two layers. I also added 10mm sound deadening foam rubber with foil facing. I wouldn't doubt the guys that developed Dynomat used ice and water shield during testing then changed material slightly so it wouldn't be so obvious, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Mar/10/2023 at 11:03am
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 8:02am
 There is a big difference in the sheet metal sound of the doors and quarters between with and without insulation.

J

celcius232 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celcius232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 5:39pm
I have used Second Skin products on at least 4 cars.   Check out their product guide at https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/ ; if you want to achive real NVH reduction, then their products are excellent.   
1980 Jeep CJ-7 258 (sold)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360 (sold)
1976 Pacer 258 (sold)
1973 Ambassador 401 (sold)
1973 Jeep Commando 304 (sold)
1969 Javelin SST 343
1968 AMX 390
1971 Hurst Jeepster
1Fawnhillsrunner View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1Fawnhillsrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2024 at 8:48am
keep in mind that the Ice and water is a asphaltic rubberized membrane and not a butyl product. with a dark colored paint on the exterior of the car it could heat up and smell.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2024 at 9:19am
Depending on were you live, wet and humid conditions should also be a consideration. Applying a mat directly on metal that cannot release any moisture that may accumulate behind it is a corrosion trap. 
IMO foil/rubber water barriers should not be used on floors or lower body panels when they have a material that will retain moisture sandwiched between the barrier and body metal.
Just as an example, I had a Ford Freestar van that while quiet, rotted the body metal from the inside out.
The sound deadening material was a sponge of some sort with a plastic outer layer that was glued to the body panels from the inside.
After 4 years I notices the bubbling of the paint. Taking a panel off from the inside showed the complete area was soaked and rotting.
I use welders (plain fire blanket) felt stuck to the lower body panels with metal roofing tar. The felt with carpet on top will breath moisture away and wick it so any wet areas do not "puddle moisture".
Dynomat in my area (Great Lakes)has proven to be a poor choice for many over the long term.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2024 at 10:14am
I never use sound proofing.If i ever take apart the interior or other areas i remove all of it that is not sprayed on.Holds moisture and dust.It will help to remove noise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic