TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rockford Rambler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 11:20pm
I have two AMC's that were purchased from Rockford Rambler. I had a 67 AMC Ambassador DPL LOADED. I wish I would've never ever sold it when I bought it in 2000. I wish I knew I could locate it.

I have an 87 Eagle that was purchased originally new from Rockford Rambler. It's amazing. Small world of my AMC purchases
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 8:48am
Originally posted by jayramb jayramb wrote:

I have two AMC's that were purchased from Rockford Rambler. I had a 67 AMC Ambassador DPL LOADED. I wish I would've never ever sold it when I bought it in 2000. I wish I knew I could locate it.

I have an 87 Eagle that was purchased originally new from Rockford Rambler. It's amazing. Small world of my AMC purchases

That's awesome!  Do you know of anyone with pictures of the dealership?  I'm guessing it was rather small.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 5:37pm
Was the white 69 owned by Frank Mc Liesh ? ( Spelling may be incorrect )
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Was the white 69 owned by Frank Mc Liesh ? ( Spelling may be incorrect )

Yes George...

That is correct...

Rich C.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 7:43pm
I remember Frank from going to the CACI events in Kenosha. He was a regular and at least on one occasion took a trophy for the most original AMX. IIRC Frank was rather tall. He he still alive ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 11:09pm
 Hi George,

I'm not sure if Frank is still alive. I know the car through his son, who has it now.
The car is as original as I've ever seen, including the original spark plug wires.

I met his son (great guy)at a car show locally a few years ago. The car ran fine, but he complained about a stumble off idle. I figured it was bad accelerator pump and offered to fix it for him. I went to his house, removed the carb. and took it home to give it a basic rebuild. As I was removing the carb, , his son told me about an ill fated attempt by a local mechanic to make some adjustments to the carb.. He broke off one of the idle mixture screws in the carb during the attempted adjustments, then tried to saw a slot into what was left of the screw, in an attempt to be able to turn it.

I found a local business that specializes in the removal of broken off bolts, taps, etc. for industry. I had them remove it, which they did perfectly without any damage to the original 10-32 threads. I gingerly filed the surface flat to remove the cut marks as best as I dare on the original Carter 4664s carb ,then replaced the idle mixture screw, and finished the rebuild  (and yes the accelerator pump was gone) . It ran like a top with the pollution pump working and purring like a kitten.

Here's a couple  pics. of the endeavor. Apologies for the bad photo quality....

Rich C.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 2:39pm
It's been a long time since anything has been posted about "Franks's car" but I do know that I used it for a reference of the stock spark plug wiring routing years and years ago when Frank had brought it to a CACI meet in Kenosha. I believe that Frank was one of the early members of CACI and was friends with Larry Mitchell and Gary Carlson who were close friends. Gary for years had his own used car dealership in Rockford, Gary Carlson Motors. He sold the property a couple of years back and the last time I spoke with him he took a part time position with another dealership in Rockford.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2019 at 2:55pm
This car will be on display at MCACN this weekend in Rosemont, Ill for those who would to see it in person!
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic