TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro gas tank sender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repro gas tank sender
    Posted: Sep/13/2022 at 5:23am
  I wanted to share some info. I bought a repro gas tank for my 70 AMX off eBay and it came with a new sender. The sender read 75 ohms in the empty position, same as my factory one. 
  I’m adding fuel injection to my car, so I cut out the corner of my tank to lower it for fitting clearance. I decided to put the sender in the tank, since I could actually see how the float rests compared to the bottom of the tank. It was about 1.5” off the bottom of the tank when resting against the empty stop on the tank. Since the resistance was correct, I didn’t want to bend the lower tab, I bent the float rod instead. 
  This works for me because I’m not using the pickup on the sender. The pickup and filter is not on the bottom of the tank, so maybe the intention is to always have a few gallons in the tank to make sure the pickup is covered?
  My advice is to make the float sit approximately level with the pickup when in the empty position. Or if you leave it like it’s shipped, expect several gallons of fuel when the gage reads empty (which is also OK as long as you know). 

Here is the before pic  

This is how I bent the float arm 

The float is about 1/2” off the bottom of the tank after adjusting. 

Again, this may not be ideal for those that use the pickup, because the pickup may be starved for fuel before the sender reads empty.  But I thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

Mike

Edited by mbwicz - Sep/13/2022 at 5:25am
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2022 at 8:09pm
 I am in the same situation with my 70 build I haven't figured out what to do yet, can you add more pictures of what you are going to use for a fuel pump and how you have it fitted.

J
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2022 at 4:10am
  I decided to go with the aeromotive phantom fuel pump setup. What I liked about this is that it can tolerate up to 1/4” variation in the sealing surface, so the ribs in the tank surface are ok. The system sticks up about 1” above the surface. I originally was going to space the tank down but decided to cut the front left corner and drop that 1-1/4”. I overestimated my ability to weld thin metal in a leak free manner, so I’m still chasing a tiny leak. 
  I was interested in the Holley Jeep setup that was used in a 6 cyl EFI post last year, but I wasn’t impressed with the bracket setup on that. 

The second pic shows the size of the pump ring that is inside the tank. So I was able to avoid the deep groove that is in the tank. 

I’ll post a couple of pics once the leak is fixed and I have the pump mounted. 

Mike

Edited by mbwicz - Sep/14/2022 at 4:12am
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic