TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacement power steering pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement power steering pump
    Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 1:47pm
Is there a replacement available for the 68 Eaton PS pump?
I got a new pump and reservoir and it still leaks, there has to be something better out there, I hope!!

Edited: can't spell

Edited by RandyB - Mar/27/2023 at 1:49pm
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 2:38pm
You can use the Saginaw pump and brackets from any AMC V-8 powered car or Jeep.  Pre-75 will have a bolt on pulley, 75-up is pressed on, but either will work.   You can get a kit from Control Freak suspension to use a GM type II Pump.  The GM pump pushes around 1200 PSI, about equal to the Eaton, the Saginaw is closer to 1500.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 3:58pm
Mine is a v8 car, so I can re-use the brackets?
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 4:16pm
You need the '72+ brackets off a V8 car if you go to the Saginaw system. Your originals only fit the Eaton pump.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by RandyB RandyB wrote:

I got a new pump and reservoir and it still leaks, there has to be something better out there, I hope!!

Define "new".  Where is the leak coming from?
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 4:24pm
it would be cheaper and easier just to fix the leak on the one you have.  where is it leaking  from?

Barney
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 5:15pm
It is leaking where the reservoir attaches to the pump, same place it was leaking before. I tried replacing the seal and then replaced the whole thing. Now I just want something that does not leak.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 6:33pm
I have to add that if you go to a Saginaw pump, around 1981 they changed from SAE inverted flare fittings to a metric O-ring.  The newer pump can be used, but you'd need an adapter fitting.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by RandyB RandyB wrote:

Is there a replacement available for the 68 Eaton PS pump?

Edited: can't spell

New pump and reservoir? Where from?

Here's an assembly diagram if that helps.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Mar/27/2023 at 9:02pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2023 at 9:38pm
Never had one of these apart, but man they almost seem like "AMC oiling system measure and what to do" for assembly.
Read some AMC, Ford, and Studebaker forums also with all the same issues and not one all comprehensive what to look for and how to properly assemble - but people do it.
Reservoir seals and machined grooves or depths to look for proper fit, kits with different shaft seals (some right and some wrong), reservoir and reinforcement plate flatness, sealants to use in some places and not others, reservoir venting, assembly order differences from the TSM...

It would seem that it would be much appreciated if someone that has rebuilt these many times with no issues made a "Rebuild Eaton Power Steering Pump" sticky on rebuilding these including what to watch out for and what kit to use.

I have the "opportunity" to pick up a couple of these with brackets for free some time this summer. Would certainly appreciate that sticky myself without muddling through it and missing something. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic