TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Renewing the valve stem seals with the head on.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Renewing the valve stem seals with the head on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 6:08pm
I have done the seals with the head installed
on the engine in my distant past.

As previously mentioned, be careful!
If you don't keep it at TDC and preferably
locked from rotating it may dismember or maim you.
Gremlin Dreams
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2021 at 7:04am
Way back when I worked at an AMC dealer, we installed seals almost daily with the heads on V8.and I6's. Bring the cylinder to TDC compression and screw in the required tool in the spark plug hole and turn on the air and go to work. We had a AMC spring compressor tool for both 6's and 8's if I recall right. I got good at that. Took about an hour on a V8. Another thing i should add, I was working on a 232 I6, lunch time I left the shop. When I came back I found the parts man didn't want to hear the compressor running in the shop and shut it off. I had left and exhaust valve without spring or retainers while I was gone. Found it had dropped into the head and could grab it to pull back into place. With the compressor on, I could hear air rushing out of the tail pipe. Put my hand over the pipe and the valve lifted into place! Lucky day!
SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic