TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing shocks from 62 American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing shocks from 62 American
    Posted: Mar/28/2021 at 2:51pm
Question: What holds the trunnion and spring assembly in place when the shock is unbolted from the lower control arm? 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2021 at 11:00pm
The rubber bumper, or what's left of it, bolted onto the upper arm behind the spring. It acts as the spacer and stiffener for the upper arm.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

58American! View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58American! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2021 at 7:21pm
Thanks Tom. Missed those somehow. I knew something had to be holding things in place! FYI, finally got the other shock removed. It was a mother. The through bolt was rusted fast in the bushings, which are now toast from my extraction process. But the control arms are ok.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 11:53pm
Yeah, they are big-a** bolts, torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Rusted in place, I can imagine! Sadly? dunno... not had the pleasure, since every one I've seen had a 1/2" bolt in there.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 7:11am
There should be a big spacer in the lower shock mount, usually aluminum. I guess you have to cut through the bolt and spacer to get the shock out? That spacer is a main support for the lower arms, so you'll need to obtain or make another with similar dimensions. Has to be thick side walls for the support.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 12:11am
I got better, corrected, information on the spacer and such in the lower arms. 

It's not really a spacer, it's a stiffener. It is a critical suspension component, you really should not drive the car, AT ALL, without that correct-width stiffener in the lower arm. You WILL ruin the lower arms.

I gave you that kit, right? It solves this dilemma completely.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic