TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing Clutch Pedal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intense Blue AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Clutch Pedal
    Posted: May/11/2021 at 8:17am
Hi,

I need to remove clutch pedal from a `70 AMX ... looking at the service manual and under the dash it looks as if there is a 1/2 nut on brake pedal side that you remove ... no fun working under dash and just want to make sure before i screw it up!
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 8:53am
On the right side of the pivot should be a snap ring or clip. I'm not sure of the style since mine was missing. The clutch pedal comes out first.
After the clutch pedal is removed, you'll see a small nut and bolt on the left side. Remove those and then the brake pedal pivot can slide out to the left. Pedal drops straight down. Clutch  pedal bushings are replaceable. I could never find replacements for the brake.

Edited by Heavy 488 - May/11/2021 at 8:56am
electricbluesc/360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricbluesc/360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 8:56am
If memory serves correct, it is a snapring on the opposite
end of the shaft that is welded to the clutch pedal itself. The bolt
and nut retains the tube that houses the brake pedal itself. Remove
snapring and clutch pedal slides thru the tube, and there will be 2 plastics
bushings on both ends for the clutch pedal shaft. 
sc/360 hornet
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 4:11pm
Happened to have the pedal assembly out of my Machine so I snapped a pic of it for you.

The snap ring holds the clutch pedal shaft. Remove that and the pedal should slide out (remove the linkage to the bellcrank of course).

-Steve-

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 9:12pm
Page 7-3 of the TSM.
Doesn't look like anything needs to be done with the brake pedal to remove the clutch pedal.  I believe it pivots on the rod shown below the clutch pedal retainer.
The clutch pedal reatiner is held in with a bolt, but looks like you just need to remove the snap ring to slide the clutch pedal assembly out, once the clutch rod is disconnected.
Here's the pic from the page.

Bill O.
70 AMX
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 10:13pm
If I have to dive under the dash, I take the seat out.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Intense Blue AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intense Blue AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 10:13pm
Thanks gang! Especially the picture ... that made it Crystal clear!
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2021 at 9:11am
If you have the over-center spring in place on the pedal mechanism, be very careful!  See the TSM on how to deal with it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic