TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

removing a wire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatched Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing a wire?
    Posted: Mar/26/2023 at 10:50pm
Trying to replace a wire between coil and the main wiring harness connector/bulkhead on my '74 Hornet.  Can't seem to get the pin out.  Tried poking all sides with tiny screwdriver but can't seem to get wire to release?  YouTube shows everyone coming from the backside but I've got two other wires going into the backside.  Clearly I'm not doing something right. What's required?  Does the firewall side and floorboard side separate into two halves to facilitate access?  Please help my ignorance! Still learning.  Thanks so much.  
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 8:31am
I know nothing about a '74 Hornet.  But I would guess (GUESS) that the terminals in the connector are Packard 56's.  The attached link shows the female and male counterparts.  The male has to be compressed sideways to be removed and the female has a small tab on the back that has to be compressed to be removed.  When you get it out you'll be shocked how simple it is.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 11:17am
Hatched Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatched Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2023 at 10:20pm
Thanks SixPakB and Trader.  It's probably a Packard 56 male from looking carefully at the picture.  

But even with the suggested tool, wouldn't I have to come at it from the floorboard side (the non-wired side) to cause the locking mechanism to retract?  If I'm coming from the wired side of the connector (firewall side) won't I just push the locking tab open more?  Problem is I've got two spliced wires coming into the same hole on the floorboard side so I can't seem to gain access to be able to come at the connector head-on to compress it.  Am I making sense :) ?
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2023 at 10:51pm
Remove the 1 bolt from the firewall side and pull the plastic harness block apart giving access to the connector. 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2023 at 10:21am
I really like these tools, they work great;

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2023 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Hatched Hornet Hatched Hornet wrote:

Thanks SixPakB and Trader.  It's probably a Packard 56 male from looking carefully at the picture.  

But even with the suggested tool, wouldn't I have to come at it from the floorboard side (the non-wired side) to cause the locking mechanism to retract?  If I'm coming from the wired side of the connector (firewall side) won't I just push the locking tab open more?  Problem is I've got two spliced wires coming into the same hole on the floorboard side so I can't seem to gain access to be able to come at the connector head-on to compress it.  Am I making sense :) ?

If it is a Packard 56 male, you squeeze the connector together with a pair of small needle nose pliers from the front and push the connector out towards the back
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2023 at 2:09pm
Here’s a Packard 56 male terminal for size 16 - 14 AWG stranded wire. 

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2023 at 3:53pm
Lisle makes several generic terminal tools.  Typically, you can also use micro sized slotted screwdrivers.
Hatched Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatched Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2023 at 7:21pm
Thanks Mark 09!  That's the answer I needed.  Pulled out bolt, pried them apart, then was able to come at the connector from the front and out it came.  Thanks for getting me out of a big stallClap !  Much appreciated and Happy Easter!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic