TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

release bearing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I believe it's "Performance American Style" that recommends the larger bearing retainer for a T10 performance upgrade.
That's the T10V version.  Larger front bearing cap.  I don't know why I had it and others did not.  Pretty sure it wasn't on the order form.
68-9 cars had it. AMC changed to the smaller cap beginning with the 1970 model.
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2022 at 5:47pm
i also found a reson for burning 3 clutches like i did when i first got it....  turns out the cover bolts are sholdered  and on a rack i didn't see a problom.... but with the engine on the stand.... after torqueing them down i could see daylight between the cover and the flywheel. .010 ish gap. the bolts were bottoming out in the flywheel before cover was fully seated.  new lock washers fixed it .... 

its the little things that make the biggest difference
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2022 at 6:02pm
Memory here - which is suspect... I believe the CRC bearing number is 2505.  This is the stock bearing.  This 2505 bearing will fit either collar.  Order the bearing (only) from places like King Bearing and press it on your collar.
Mike
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 2:49pm
ok....  got one.  no luck with any of the numbers we came up with.  ether thay were not a good number anymore or just can't get.  not a fan of chineseum but called auto zone. thay had it on the shelf.  ...  so here's hoping it last.  it dose fit the bearing retainer well.  ... look at the date on the box ....  been on the shelf 5 years.... ya .. i need to change my calendar.

Edited by hacksaw1971 - Dec/06/2022 at 2:58pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2022 at 10:50pm
I had a hunt getting my throw out bearing, and had no idea that bearing came easily come off the collar, it was a good afternoon when I sorted out that job. My clutch assembly was a pleasant part of the engine install, no problems, nice slow easy work.
Good job getting your bearing! You Gunna put some lube on the splines? The splines on the Trans input shaft were soaked with red grease, lots of it, I cleaned it up and got it Spick and span, and put on a super thin layer of anti sieze silver stuff. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

I had a hunt getting my throw out bearing, and had no idea that bearing came easily come off the collar, it was a good afternoon when I sorted out that job. My clutch assembly was a pleasant part of the engine install, no problems, nice slow easy work.
Good job getting your bearing! You Gunna put some lube on the splines? The splines on the Trans input shaft were soaked with red grease, lots of it, I cleaned it up and got it Spick and span, and put on a super thin layer of anti sieze silver stuff. 
 i orderd a bearing from napa. not sure if he could get it but we came up with a number for just the bearing.  i had forgot about it. he called me today and it showed up.  just the bearing but its the rite one.  SKF N1054.  as for what i got i needed the collar to match the bearing cover on the trans im using this time. bearing retainer and collar on my old trans was hammered. thunk i could use the collar but didn't like the slop when i put it together. on a side note for those that don't know... fork pivot in the bellhousing are not all the same. make sure ya got the rite one. 

Edited by hacksaw1971 - Dec/20/2022 at 10:06am
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2022 at 10:18am
Does the SKF N1054 fit both collars/retainers/hubs, whatever, or just the large or small?  I am getting confused with all the numbers flying around.  Confused
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2022 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Does the SKF N1054 fit both collars/retainers/hubs, whatever, or just the large or small?  I am getting confused with all the numbers flying around.  Confused
should fit both...  but not 100% sure. it showed the same number for early and 1970 up.
1.528 is the I.D. and 2.628 O.D. across the bearing face that hits the clutch cover fingers.
and its made in the USA.

Edited by hacksaw1971 - Dec/20/2022 at 10:53am
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2022 at 6:03pm
I have also suffered with this! As stated above, it is 69 and earlier that uses a slightly larger throwout bearing. 70 and up slightly smaller. The SKF part number for the larger one is 1489 and the later slightly smaller one is 1491. 

Two things to watch with any kits these days is that they all want to give you the larger 69 and earlier bearing. All well and good, but if you have the smaller bearing retainer it will rattle around and wear it away in about 11,000 miles.....

Second thing to watch is do not install chinese. Not being paranoid or just spouting off anti import crap. I have had to replace two RAM clutches in a row due to TO bearing failures and both are Chinese versions. I have an actualy SKF going in shortly and I am very hopeful that it will last. Both the previous bearings failed identically where they detached from the collar. That was really the least of the issues though, because both also sound like castanets if you shake them, unlike the SKF. 

I personally would not assemble it with those bearings, Hacksaw1971, but good luck, I understand neccessity too. FWIW my SKF was assembled in Chicago, but no idea if they are still available or how long you would have to wait. 

Chris 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2022 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

I have also suffered with this! As stated above, it is 69 and earlier that uses a slightly larger throwout bearing. 70 and up slightly smaller. The SKF part number for the larger one is 1489 and the later slightly smaller one is 1491. 

Two things to watch with any kits these days is that they all want to give you the larger 69 and earlier bearing. All well and good, but if you have the smaller bearing retainer it will rattle around and wear it away in about 11,000 miles.....

Second thing to watch is do not install chinese. Not being paranoid or just spouting off anti import crap. I have had to replace two RAM clutches in a row due to TO bearing failures and both are Chinese versions. I have an actualy SKF going in shortly and I am very hopeful that it will last. Both the previous bearings failed identically where they detached from the collar. That was really the least of the issues though, because both also sound like castanets if you shake them, unlike the SKF. 

I personally would not assemble it with those bearings, Hacksaw1971, but good luck, I understand neccessity too. FWIW my SKF was assembled in Chicago, but no idea if they are still available or how long you would have to wait. 

Chris 
 ya well  it was already together when the SKF bearing showed up .... lol. we will see
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic