TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Reinstating emissions 82 x 258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reinstating emissions 82 x 258
    Posted: May/26/2023 at 8:11am
I've recently acquired a 82 Cherokee with the 258, I'm more familiar with AMC V8 stuff. Our road laws in Australia tend to be pretty draconian and I'd like to get this thing licensed for road use. Some helpful soul in the past has removed most of the emissions stuff from the engine and I think I will need this for licensing. Just trying to figure out what I am going to need, overall requirements are a bit of an unknown, we don't need a smog test, but the system is supposed to be in place and operating as the factory intended.

I will need the charcoal cannister, I think I have figured out how this is connected, but looking for universal or maybe other make options that will do the job?

I think I need the EGR pipe that goes from the exhaust to intake, this has been removed and blocked off, seems this part is no longer available, the solenoid is still present on the intake side, just need to determine how it is supposed to work. Has anybody made their own EGR pipe form some other parts source.

The air pump and iir injection tubes are also missing, Ideally I will leave these off, but looking for viable options, seems like I can buy most of the bits other than the air injection tubes themselves?

Really just need to know where everything goes and how it is laid out. Google is not helping with really detailed information

Plan B might be a 4.0 swap, since most of those seem to still have the emissions gear attached.

Edited by WesternRed - May/26/2023 at 8:13am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 9:35am
Ford discontinued theirs also and you can make a new one with this or similar:
https://bennettbuilt.com/shop/Muffler_Accessories--Stainless_Steel_Flexible_Exhaust_Tubing_34_ID.html
Only issue is having the flare ends and nuts. The thread is 7/8-18 flare fitting which is also a hydraulic line fitting size. Could cobble something up.
Try a post in the wanted section, may get lucky!
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 3:17pm
The EGR will require the CTO valve mounted in the block/manifold coolant channel and the TVS attached to the air cleaner. Without them the EGR will operate when it's too cold and cause performace issues. I believe '82 on the Cherokee is CeC so the diverter and air control valves will need their control solenoids. I can't even begin to offer suggestions on where to find parts in Australia beyond going through every car yard you can find.

Is the emissions decal still attached? In 1982 here vehicles in Canada like the Eagle were secondary air and catalytic converter exempt and that means if it's not on the decal it's not needed at the inspection*, so you might make it lucky and not need everything

Edited by MIPS - May/26/2023 at 5:56pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 4:48pm
We didn't get catalytic convertors in Australia until 1986, so that is a bonus.

I'll have to spend a bit of time identifying what is left on the car, I can see some of the connections and the EGR valve itself is still present on the intake, but the charcoal canister is missing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2023 at 3:56pm
Unless you have access to a knowledgeable person or literature source (and I am not saying the people above do not qualify) I suggest you get a service manual and possibly look for a junkyard early 80's Jeep to see what you need.  
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 5:20pm
Junkyard 80's Jeeps will be pretty few and far between down here in the land of Oz but you never know what will turn up.

This is what I have at the moment:

Previous owner has done some work on it including installing the fuel filter backwards. I'm missing everything that's not in the picture including the air cleaner and I need to track down the throttle cable transfer linkage.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 2:24pm
First impressions are:
(and I might be wrong on a few things)

-You either have a non-feedback 2BBD installed or the PO removed the stepper motor (and hopefully plugged the circuits)
-The Sol-Vac is still installed, but the vacuum portion at least is not connected.
-Upper bowl vent is not connected. Should T-in with the lower bowl vent
-Fuel return line is not connected (the inline check valve will be missing as well)
-Wrong fuel filter. Should be a FRAM G3583 before the carb for vapor separation that clear style can be installed before the fuel pump, as insurance from dirty gas.
-The Computer Coolant switch is missing (I designed a replacement harness for that because the originals are absolutely unreliable)
-The dual-mode coolant valve for spark advance and EGR coolant control is missing. That will be a hard one to track down, but non-AMC substitutes still exist.
-It almost looks like he has manifold vacuum going straight into the EGR. That will work but it will also do so when it's tool cold for the EGR.
-The T-fitting is not factory on the intake manifold coolant port. Is there an aftermarket electric fan and thermostat?
-That's an 83 or later intake manifold. The one vertical stud on front of the carb is for a knock sensor that didn't exist yet in 1982. That will work fine.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 7:57am
Great info there MIPS, from what I can work out, the car has at some time in the past been converted to run dual fuel (propane or gasoline), this was quite common in Australia at one stage. I think the PO has removed most of the propane kit and changed the carby while he was at it, he did mention that he had installed an electric choke on it. There was a lot of additional wiring for running propane that I have also removed to complete that job.

-You either have a non-feedback 2BBD installed or the PO removed the stepper motor (and hopefully plugged the circuits)
Non-feedback 2BBD I suspect.

-The Sol-Vac is still installed, but the vacuum portion at least is not connected.
Which bit is Sol-Vac?

-Upper bowl vent is not connected. Should T-in with the lower bowl vent
Yes, I believe that should run to the charcoal canister, which is also missing

-Fuel return line is not connected (the inline check valve will be missing as well)
Correct

-Wrong fuel filter. Should be a FRAM G3583 before the carb for vapor separation that clear style can be installed before the fuel pump, as insurance from dirty gas.
Fuel filter is also connected backwards, should be able to order the correct type.

-The Computer Coolant switch is missing (I designed a replacement harness for that because the originals are absolutely unreliable)
Probably the whole system is missing, computer?

-The dual-mode coolant valve for spark advance and EGR coolant control is missing. That will be a hard one to track down, but non-AMC substitutes still exist.
Yes, I'd say that is the case

-It almost looks like he has manifold vacuum going straight into the EGR. That will work but it will also do so when it's tool cold for the EGR.
Manifold vacuum is connected directly to the EGR, but the EGR pipe has been blanked off, so even if the solenoid is working, it can't suck anything. How cold is too cold for the EGR, I have tracked down an EGR pipe, so can reinstall that as it's fairly obvious that it has been butchered.

-The T-fitting is not factory on the intake manifold coolant port. Is there an aftermarket electric fan and thermostat?
The T-fitting is for an aftermarket mechanical coolant temperature gauge.

-That's an 83 or later intake manifold. The one vertical stud on front of the carb is for a knock sensor that didn't exist yet in 1982. That will work fine.
Which stud are you referring to?

Currently I am missing the throttle actuator linkage, the throttle cable was hooked up using some funky home made bracket that had the cable doing a 90 degree bend, this is my most immediate thing to fix, parts on the way.

Seems like reinstating all of the emissions gear may be a big ask, I think I will just need enough bits to make it look like it might be factory spec to somebody who isn't very familiar with these motors.

At this stage, hopefully I can get away with just the EGR and charcoal canister being present and can convince them that the smog pump wasn't installed on these in Australia. We didn't get unleaded fuel and catalytic convertors in this country until 1986.

Hopefully a mate will be able to lend me a service manual, which might help my cause, there is a lot of guesswork on my part at the moment..
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 7:03pm
Quote Which bit is Sol-Vac?

White plastic thing with the metal bracket that is bolted to the front of the carb. Has a little pushrod that nudges the throttle. The single wire with the bllet connector extends the rod a little when the AC/headlights are turned on and the vacuum part extends it further if the computer was installed still.

Quote Probably the whole system is missing, computer?

Probably, however the ports on the side of the manifold are great places to install coolant switches.

Quote Manifold vacuum is connected directly to the EGR, but the EGR pipe has been blanked off, so even if the solenoid is working, it can't suck anything

Correct.

Quote How cold is too cold for the EGR

The EGR was thermally controlled by the CTO (which opens at 46c) and the TVS (which opens at 13c). In a warm climate that just means it prevents the EGR from running for the first few minutes but here in Canada it can prevent the EGR from running at all when it's -20c. ;)
Quote Which stud are you referring to?

This thingamajig.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2023 at 7:55am
Ok,

The raised boss in front of the carby for the knock sensor is not tapped for anything, it's just a raised boss, so maybe provision for future upgrades that were not yet in production.

Slo-vac is not connected at all, i figured that might be for faster idle when the AC was on, so that's prat of it's function I guess.

Your picture helps, I am missing lots of stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic