TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Reattach Window Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reattach Window Glass
    Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 9:39pm
Pity the amateur!  I figure I should ask for help before I further mess this up.  :(

On my 68 Ambassador wagon I pulled off the top of the front right door's window frame so that I could fit a new channel seal (Right name?  The stuff that seals the window to the frame on its top and back sides.  It's sort of felt-like stuff.)  I got it back together but have had a heck of a time adjusting the window so that it actually goes into the new seal.  Thought I had it OK enough and put the door back together.  

Not so.  It makes a good deal of wind noise.  When I looked further, it really wasn't a good fit.  So tonight I tried to fix it.  I got the window cocked and jammed somehow.  I applied a bit of force via the window regulator and something came loose.  Darn.  

I took the door card and barrier off.  The glass has come out of the metal channel on the bottom.  There is some sort of rubber (?) or such that appears to have been holding the glass into the channel.  Of course, with the glass out, the space in the channel has contracted to less than the thickness of the glass. 

I dread breaking the window glass.  Therefore, I thought I'd stop and ask directions.

What are the good hints at getting the glass and the regulator back together?  Also, I assume there is some form of adhesive?  If so, what is it? 

All suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 3:53am
I would refer to the TSM. The TSM will let you know were all the hardware is located and assist with instructions for your repair.
 Every door glass has a few adjustment bolts/hardware. If the glass has slipped out of the window channel, then taking a few things loose will be the only way to reinstall the glass. Usually you can loosen or remove the bolts that hold the window channel in place and move it around and back onto the glass.  Sometimes I have had to loosen almost everything, the window channel bolts the window regulator bolts and/or all of the window adjustment bolts.
The window channels can bend/twist easy, so forcing a window out or back into the channel can cause additional problems. 
As you have already stated the window channel (run/felt/liner) can also cause a problem. Yes it's old, brittle and old rubber/felt parts tend to decay with time. They will harden, crack and start to fall apart. With that said, Pandora's box is open, now that you are into the door/glass, I would check everything for proper fit and function. As with most things with old cars, one thing always lead into another.
  If your rubber/felt parts are all in decent shape, that would be very good for you. Unless you have a auto collision/restoration buddy to help you, you really need the TSM. (Technical Service Manual). Study the schematics for comprehension and understanding on exactly how the factory made the parts, the part(s) location and how to adjust/install the glass & associated parts. 

Lastly, many times the grease/lube from the factory has dried onto those parts, especially the window regulator. If the regulator is stiff and/or does not move smoothly this can cause numerous issues, including tinting the glass and forcing the glass out of the window channel. Clean all of the regulator, the arms, roller cams at the ends of the regulator arms and the metal channels that the roller cams slide back and forth within
There is also a specific sequence of how to disassemble a door glass and reinstallation. 

There are some other little things to discuss about, but I just gave you the main points. Hope my 2 cents worth helps!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 7:51am
You'll need to remove the glass and the bottom channel from the car.
Take them to an auto glass shop and they can clean out the old adhesive from the channel and clean up the glass. They can then use some rubber spacers or shims to center the glass in the bracket and then remove the glass and put a bead urethane adhesive in the channel. Then set the glass back in the channel. When the urethane cures trim off any excess.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 9:59am
Thankyou all
Bruce Clarkson
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 3:08pm
i used some magnet strips to center and block up the windows. You can get the proper adhesive from your local auto glass shop comes in a tube that fits a caulking gun. Bob
green70AMX
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 3:53pm
You had better re-attach the shoes in the EXACT fore/aft position on the glass.  Use previous dirt marks as a guide
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic