TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear main Seals Beware

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Originally posted by XJ6 XJ6 wrote:

Mahle is German and likely sourcing the same seal Fel Pro now uses. The only real alternative is the SCE silicone gasket made in USA part number 12905. SCE gaskets are all I will try and use in any AMC build unless it is one they dont offer. Just a superior product. The CA prop 65 warning is an added bonus as well.

The SCE brand actually has the AMC part number on them like the FelPro ones used to have.
AM  3180468 and AM  3180469 so, I assume that they are getting them from the old Felpro supplier.  I will eventually switch to these but in the mean time I have had to replace a Mahle brand after 400 miles of running time.  Plus, I had another Mahle brand leak on the starting stand.  It was leaking a drip every 10 seconds. I added a can of Blue Devil Rear main Sealer and it did seem to fix the leak.  The trouble is I have no clue on what the long term effect will be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBBw8gETfDo
Eventually, I am going to switch to the SCE brand and use some Assemblee Goo on the seal lip.
IMG_4247 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
.... finaly .... thanks for the help .... i knew there was a problom after a date just didn't remember if it was the german one or not .... 
its the little things that make the biggest difference
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 9:39am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

I just got 10 new SCE seals with the AM part number on them.  If anyone needs one or two I will let them go for what they cost me at $26.00 each plus shipping.
waiting on a call back from them .... if i don't jhear back by tomarow il take 3...... lol
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2021 at 7:26am
I talked directly to the gents at SCE yesterday at PRI. They assured me they were still making the rear mains & showed me in their catalog. They offer single & 10 packs. 

I explained the situation with the other brand & they said they have heard of this issue with other makes as well. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Steve Obertanec Steve Obertanec wrote:

I talked directly to the gents at SCE yesterday at PRI. They assured me they were still making the rear mains & showed me in their catalog. They offer single & 10 packs. 

I explained the situation with the other brand & they said they have heard of this issue with other makes as well. 
mine will be here wensday .... i got the 10 pack.  i got 3 mills going on here at the same time so the multi pack was the way to go since shipping is 12 bucks each for a 20 buck part if i get them one at a time ...lol
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2024 at 7:57pm
Sorry to bring this thread back from the past...

Or maybe it's a good thing?  Wink

I have a Felpro rebuild gasket kit that I bought probably 11 years ago or so...

Would the rear main seals from that kit be safe to use??

I don't see the AMC part number on them...
Or Germany....

All I see on the seals is a part number of NPC 4375...
As well as a number off to the side...
A "7" on one and a "4" on the other....

What do you think?
Do I need to pay the ridiculous price to get an SCE set shipped to Canada?
You Drive A What?!?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2024 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by hacksaw1971 hacksaw1971 wrote:

mine will be here wensday .... i got the 10 pack.  i got 3 mills going on here at the same time so the multi pack was the way to go since shipping is 12 bucks each for a 20 buck part if i get them one at a time ...lol

Who did you get the 10 pack from?  Everybody and their dog sells the single 2905 seal ~ $30 a crack but I can't find anybody who offers the 2905-10.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2024 at 9:01pm
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2024 at 6:13pm
MacGiver I think the NPC denotes a National seal.  Probably ok.  On the made in Germany seals the pin isn't centered in the rubber and is bigger diameter than the old seals that had the AM part number.  Only safe bet ist the expensive SCE

MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2024 at 7:46pm
Thanks for that info BassBoat!!  Good to know!!

The seal still seems soft and supple...

However...  The internal wire, although nice and centered in the rubber mold, does seem to
be a bit bigger in diameter than the "old original version" posted in the pics above, leaving a
bit less rubber for conformity....
Makes me a bit nervous!!

Guess I'll have to spring for the SCE version...

At around $60-65 Canadian with shipping, exchange, duties and taxes....

Man, that's an expensive piece of rubber!!!  Confused
You Drive A What?!?
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2024 at 7:25pm
For those that are ordering single SCE seals....

I found it rather interesting that from Summit at least, you can get
the whole front end gasket set that includes the rear main seal for
cheaper than just the rear main seal alone!!

Summit doesn't have stock at the moment, but they promise me
that it will ship by April!  Wink
We'll see!!

VS:

Edit:   Sorry...   I'm not sure those hyperlinks work?
Not sure what I did wrong...

Edited by CamJam - Mar/19/2024 at 10:24pm
You Drive A What?!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic