TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear main Seals Beware

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main Seals Beware
    Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 3:37pm
FelPro kit and I noticed that the rear main seal has the words "Germany" on it.  This means that as a price reduction, they found a cheaper source. Not sure if Victor, MAHLE uses the same seal or not at this point.  I just ordered 2 of the Victor ones and they don't have "Germany" on them.  Here is a picture of one of the Germany ones that ran for 15 minutes on my starting stand.  I did not cut the seal. Chunks came out upon start up.  We have an issue here that we need to figure out.
  IMG_3470 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 4:58pm
It looks like you ran it dry. Good thing you do the test run on a stand, I don't like finding that on the car. Done one replacement, under car, and it was not fun.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 6:50pm
It wasn't ran dry.  That is the 90something rear main seal that I have installed. 
There is a material issue.
oldamcer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldamcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 7:02pm
Nice find Rick,thanks!!
40 HudsonCoupe 304/904
33 Essex 315/904
47 Hudson 360/727/TorqueStorm

69 AmboWagon"The Flower Car"

50 StudeGasser360/T-400
74 HornetHatch 304/727
55 Hudson360/904

�
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 8:43pm
Any sort of date code on it, I'm wondering if it is a new poor quality part or some 50 year old NOS seal that has perished.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 9:33pm
 I have four gasket sets I believe two are dated 2016 the other two no date none have rear seals with Germany on them, thanks for the heads up.

J
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 9:33pm
Wow that’s not good. Curious how you found it? Do you typically tear back down after run in or was there a visible/audible issue?
AMO Newsletter Editor
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2020 at 11:44pm
I’m guessing he had to clean up a big puddle of oil on the floor.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Any sort of date code on it, I'm wondering if it is a new poor quality part or some 50 year old NOS seal that has perished.

It is a new seal. All of the older ones still had the AMC part number on them right up until this year.
Here are the numbers on the upper seal: dph Germany   1424897-1
Here are the numbers on the lower seal: dph Germany   1424897

Here are the numbers on the older upper seal: TBD (I need to find one)
Here are the numbers on the older Lower seal: AM  3180469   SCI   19

Yea, I start up and break every engine in on a starting stand.  And yes I could see the oil steadily dripping out of the rear of the engine.  It ran for about 15 min before I pulled it off to replace the rear main seal.  Imagine if I would have just assembled it and shipped it off to Europe or somewhere without running it.  

Edited by SC397 - Jul/08/2020 at 7:07am
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2020 at 7:45am
I had this problem with my engine build about 5 years ago. I should've had it tested on a stand. Had to pull it twice to get it right. I blamed the builder for not using permatex noted int the TSM on assembly. He told me it was a bad seal....don't know what ended up in the engine. It's held for 5 years now...
SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic