TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end lubrication

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear end lubrication
    Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 9:43pm
I'm sure this has been addressed before but, quickly, what is the contemporary lub. that is suitable for a Twin Grip and standard rear end.  Thanks, response much appreciated.  KarlSmile
Life is too short to own a car that isn't green..BBG 69 AMX, Green 68 AMX
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 6:31am
  I noticed in the TSM that AMC recommends using twin grip lube in all of their rear axles after doing service.  So they recommended a 'limited slip additive' be added to the lube in all axles after service.
  I know it doesn't answer your question directly.  I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on using synthetic or mineral axle lube.  I have had good luck with Redline 75W90 in a past build.  They have a version with limited slip additive already blended in.  But this is my only experience, and it will be interesting to see what others with more build experience use.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 7:02am
The only thing to caution is that some older clutch pack limited slip differentials have yellow metals mixed in the friction materials. Therefore you can only use GL4 lubricants and not GL5 in this application.
If you don't know for sure, best to stick to a GL4.
As for synthetic or dino oils, that's up to you. 
Some synthetics will tend to have whine issues in some applications. My AWD transfer case will whine with synthetic and be completely quiet when changed back to dino of the same 80W90 grade.  
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 8:50am
I recommend KY......
they call me Capt RETIRED!
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 10:19am
Thanks for your replies.  I know with Corvette positraction, you need to be careful what lube is used! The service manual (which I don't have here now, recommended an 80 lube which I think they called an additive...must read it again. I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned and will look into it.  Again, I recall it can be bad news with GM positraction if you use the wrong thing.  Thanks again!!! Karl
Life is too short to own a car that isn't green..BBG 69 AMX, Green 68 AMX
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 10:24am
Ok, I'll kick off the fire storm.

Royal Purple MaxGear. It has friction modifiers already in it.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 11:49am
I've been adding the Ford Motorcraft friction modifier for years.  Never had a problem.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 12:32pm
Back when a doctor friend had a '62 Ambassador with Twin-Grip, we changed his diff lube out with Studebaker-Packard Twin-Traction Lubricant. 

Because the Studebaker dealer kept it in stock.

That was a few years back, of course.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 5:48pm
there are NO yellow metals in the AMC 20;I can't believe I have to say this.  Yes, GL5 is necessary.  GL4 is not recommended for any ring and pinion that I've seen because it doesn't have the high pressure resistance that's inherent in a R&P.  The Wal Mart synthetic is fine.  If you find you need the modifier, that's available at multiple places, but most oils that say they have it do not have enough. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2021 at 7:53pm
From my 1970 TSM, I think page 24-7:

Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic