TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rare Ragtop Rogue Refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2022 at 7:40am
Little projects turn into great leaps forward   !!!!
Looking fantastic Kevin.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2022 at 10:18am
Thanks CamJam & Ollie.  I remember the seatbelt post CamJam did a number of years back that was a great process documented to follow for others on a DIY project.  In recent decades I have started to feel it important that if I am drawing down the inventory of good parts for my own projects, then I need to give back into the hobby in some other way to replenish our collective dwindling resources!

This was a busy week with (3) of Brian's Gremlins departing his collection here in eastern PA for new homes across the country.  Also had some of those new owners staying as guests as they were here loading, and another forum friend here this week picking up parts.  The convertible only got a small amount of love this week as I started assembling things back into the engine bay and worked on the wiring harness.  So it was great when a highly anticipated box arrived yesterday from Norway with some super hard to find NOS trim for the convertible!!!  Making it way more special is that my adorable grand-daughter was here to help open the box and inspect the parts as they were removed.  You can't start the training of the next generation too early.  The NOS addiction needs to be transferred forward.  LOL

A special shout-out to Terje Mittet for sending some great parts over for this car.  We have 7 of the 10 lower trim pieces.  I could really use the right door and right rear quarter (front) pieces if anyone out there has some bagged pieces yet.  A few trim pieces I am looking for:

Right Door - 4484006
R Quarter (front) - 4484042
R Quarter (rear) - 4484012

Rear taillight eyebrow pot metal - 4484164 (L), and 4484165 (R)
Left front fender potmetal endcap - 4484001

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2022 at 5:27pm
I'm wondering what the rubber parts along the window glass of the doors, that keep the water from dripping into the insides of the doors is like (their condition) and if you need to refurbish them what would you do? Also, is the fuzzy material that looks like felt, the round pieces that are doing some sort of job with your throttle linkage, is that used to absorb some of the friction of the twisting rod? 
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2022 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

I'm wondering what the rubber parts along the window glass of the doors, that keep the water from dripping into the insides of the doors is like (their condition) and if you need to refurbish them what would you do? Also, is the fuzzy material that looks like felt, the round pieces that are doing some sort of job with your throttle linkage, is that used to absorb some of the friction of the twisting rod? 

Rubber seals on this car are just fair.   This was a southwest car most of its life so rubber has gotten a little hard over the years.  I'm not in a hurry to work on those items early on, as I plan this car to just be a nice driver that goes out mainly when the sun is shining and the top is down.  Door window fuzzy's look like all 60s cars - which looks like a balding teddy bear.  No plans to replace at this time.  The felt on the linkage is a factory deal - I think it is an anti-vibration / rattle element on the assembly.  I got an NOS one from ebay when I redid the linkage.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2022 at 10:30pm
I wish I had a lot more progress to report but not much recently.  The coming week is looking pretty good to get some work done so I am hopeful.  Although not done yet, I did get a fair amount of items under the hood back into position.  The heat box assembly and glove box are back in the car now.  Putting a glove box in one of these Americans with the dash installed is a pain in the butt.  The repop cardboard boxes are a bit thicker / stiffer than original and these things are tight!  For those that have the dashes out - redo your heat box and install it first.  Mount the glove box to the dash then mount the dash in the car.  I did that on my SCR when I restored it and that's definitely the way to go.

Heater hoses (new pieces via NAPA/Gates) are installed with replated original Wittek clamps, and the cleaned wiring harness is back in place with the restored throttle linkage all back in place, and the new master cylinder mounted.  Not a bad look against the backdrop of the original Apollo Yellow paint!

This past week, I gathered up the stripped and prepped brake drums, (front and rear), new races to get turned, and the new tires and wheels and dropped off at my local shop to get mounted and balanced.  Stuff isn't as cheap to do anymore...Confused

But the preliminary results on the tires and wheels with a quick first look was very satisfying!  This will be a very classy look!SmileSmile

After doing yardwork this morning, and chasing an 18 month old around all afternoon, I decided I wanted to do something tonight on the car, but didn't want to get too deep, so I decided to get after tearing out the back half of the interior.... boy I wish I had waited.  Yuck - the main living quarters for the mouse house was under the rear seat.  Nasties....Dead.  Mask and gloves and garbage bags and shop vacs...  at least its improving...

Tomorrow, I'll get the back part of the seat out, side panels off, and rear carpet pulled up and thrown out.  At that point I can start to evaluate the current state of the top motor and workings and what must get refurbished there.  At this rate, if I make Detroit with the car I will be lucky, and that's only if the motor /clutch have survived the long Rip Van Winkle slumber without immediate needs for teardown - fingers crossed that I can get a couple summers out of the motor / trans.

Edited by kcsamc - Apr/18/2022 at 10:09pm
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2022 at 9:32pm
Progress crawls with a few minutes here and there these days..Confused

Rear carpet is out, and side cover panels are out.  I tore apart the door panel on the passenger side and got the old door handle off and the side trim removed.  Paint touchup on the door is complete and light 2000 - 3000 grit color sand is up next to bring the gloss back on the passenger door that is duller than all the other panels.  Touchup, although far from perfect does clean up the look of the side of the car now.  You will see all the spots but at least its all one color again!

My friend Bruce Wanner was over last night and I handed him the glass lens from the one rear side panel for the convertible that was all busted up and asked if he had any in his stash.  He showed up tonight with an NOS one in the bag.  What a great friend!!!!  These don't grow on trees anymore!!

Hoping to do a little more assembly in the engine bay this weekend and maybe start assembling the left front axle/brakes.  I need to get some real progress done now!

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 11:15am
Effort has picked up a little bit here in the past couple weeks.  Glad to see a little progress.  Several things completed with no photos:

1)  New wheels are waxed and new center caps are installed.  They sure do look bright!
2)  Rear seats have been sanitized and cleaned as best as possible.  Hopefully the odor can be fully eliminated!

Other items got a few photos:

3)  Radiator hoses and a final heater hose installed

4)  The right door panel was removed for inside work - pulled off the lower chrome trim and old door handle.  Raided my SC/Rambler boxes for NOS door handles and Mark Fletcher sent in an NOS lower door panel molding to install!  Thanks Mark!  The right door was replaced with a junkyard door after some sort of minor side swipe in years past and the paint work was really bad on it, and many chips and paint gouges.  Watersanded and buffed the door paint and got the touchup paint out and made the best of it - it looks a lot better but will never be great.  From 5+ feet its not horrible.  Chrome went back on and it does a good job of distracting the eye with bling!  Fresh door handle rubber helps the appearance too.

NOS door trim vs old original - much brighter!

5)  Left spindle/brake assembly completed.  Scott Comenzo contributed to the project with fabricated spacer plates to help gain room on this drum car for the 15x6 wheels / 205-60-15 tires.   The drum cars lack the extra spacer plated used on disc cars and would have made it tight up front.  This will keep from having the spacer the outside of the drum / new studs.  Still good length on the brake hose.

All new brakes are now assembled on the left side now.  I still need to go back and put the spacer plate in on the right side.  New Grade 8 bolting was required.

6)  Pet project that I'm proud of - installing a antifreeze overflow (spit) bottle.  I had purchased the tank several months ago after researching what I wanted, but to install it, I needed to make a special bracket.  After gathering up some metal, this past Friday I was off work and decided it was going to be a fabrication day.  A very special bracket was hand fashioned and welded to allow the bottle to be fitted right along side the radiator, and without any new holes or changes to the body.  Painting the nice aluminum bottle semi gloss black, makes it look much more natural and near factory looking.  Glad to say that the heating/cooling system is ready to fill now.  I like the look of this!

Very pleased with the look and fit - bracket was a pain to bend - wish I could have found something a gauge or two thinner.

7)  Trim change out - this is moving along.  Last night I pulled the front fender splash panels to work on the short pieces behind the wheel arch.  I found that the 67 cars didn't use the lumpy rubber for edge sealing - they were made from old inner tubes!  My Scrambler was the lumpy rubber sheet material.  Interesting....

The right side fender molding had holes "rotted" through it and I couldn't understand why....  Well dirt had filled up behind that thing and even eroded off the paint behind the molding up to a dirt line.  This molding was toast!!  I am now treating the fender surface rust and will touch up with some brush on yellow before installing the new molding.

I am still looking for an NOS trim piece as shown below - PN 4484042 - right rear behind the door.  Anybody have one????  NOS please.

Well.... time to get back to work on the car!

Edited by kcsamc - May/29/2022 at 11:18am
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2022 at 2:35pm
I really like that overflow bottle. Where did you get that?
Love the updates!

kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Love the updates!

It is a Mustang vendor offering:

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Love the updates!

It is a Mustang vendor offering:

Great! Thank you...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic